Highlighted
JasonRVS
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

Single Soundbar 700 shows up as 3 separate devices on Alexa app

I have a weird problem with my new Soundbar. Setup went fairly smoothly, but it always thought the time was off by 3 hours. I didn't see an option in the Bose Music app for timezone, so I went in to the Alexa app to try to fix it.

Oddly, there were 3 separate devices for the soundbar in my Alexa device:

1) A Dot image that says "Jason's Bose Soundbar 700"

2) A Dot image that says "Bose Soundbar 700"

3) A speaker image that says "Bose Soundbar 700"

#1 seems to be the most correct one (although the Dot image doesn't make much sense). It has many more metadata fields. #2 only has a few fields, and #3 only has 4 fields and no volume control. The volume controls work on either #1 and #2. The only action I can do on #3 is disable it.

#1 and #2 are undeletable, and #3 can be deleted.

A Bose rep suggested deleting the Alexa app and reinstalling. After doing that, it did remove #2 and #3. But then I ran the Adaptiq setup and #2 came back. And if I ever try to find devices on the Alexa app, #3 comes back.

At the moment, I reinstalled the Alexa app again and #2 is gone right now, but I'm pretty confused about what it's trying to do.

3 REPLIES 3
PercyBottle
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

Re: Single Soundbar 700 shows up as 3 separate devices on Alexa app

I also have "Pete Bose soundbar 700" and a speaker, which is called "Downstairs", being the name I gave the soundbar during setup. I'm guessing Alexa treats the soundbar as 2 separate components. One is the smart device that Alexa interacts with, and the other is the speaker. If you only have one smart speaker in the house, Alexa automatically plays music on that. If you had another, you would have to tell Alexa which speaker to play on. So I think this is the normal arrangement for the soundbar in the Alexa app.

Community Manager

Hi JasonRVS,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

I too have noticed this in regards to the multiple times the system shows up in the Alexa device list.  From my understanding, the speaker should show up as 2 devices in the Alexa device list  The first would have the Echo image to the left of the name which would indicate AVS (Amazon Voice Service) is activated for basic Alexa commands like "Alexa, what's the time?" or "Alexa, what's the weather like?"  The second time the speaker should show up is when there is a speaker icon to the left of the name.  This would mean the Bose Skill is setup for further control of the speaker.  Ex.  "Alexa, play some jazz in the bedroom."  

We are currently looking into why the speaker shows up a third time in the list, but currently, this shouldn't impact any performance with Alexa integration.  As soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to update the Community.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Community Manager

Hi JasonRVS,

I wanted to reach back out to you as I have tried to replicate this issue again recently and it appears to have been resolved and should only show 2 devices for the soundbar like stated above.  

Can we remove the voice assistant from the Bose Music app and also remove/de-register the speaker in the Alexa app and re-add Alexa to the speaker?

Warm Regards,

Tony A