Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Product Announcement: Bose Smart Speakers

Actually, I am not in the minority.  The majority are happy with their Bose products and don't post here.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

As a business decision maker with a multi million dollar budget and an owner of 7 Soundtouch devices, I think long term this will backfire for Bose. It's called switching costs, and I'd visit friends and be jealous of the Sonos app but happy with the Soundtouch sound quality.  No compatibility between the lines plus the god awful soundtouch app means my next "upgrade" is in the Sonos product family.  $3k on Soundtouch with hopes they were fixing the app just to be deprecated...  

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

As a retired business decision maker with a multi-billion dollar consumer products company, I disgree.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

Do I really need to say my title, as if that makes a difference? You made a snarky comment about there being a lot of experts in here. I just happen to be an expert, so I called you on it. Your happy, good for you. Others here are not. Let it go.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

Well billion is bigger than million, so I guess you win. Everyone on this thread seems to very much agree with you.  

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Most who agree with me are not on this thread.  Why would they be?  I just try to answer an occassional question, but like to express my opinion when others bash Bose for their business decisions.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@Xyz987 - I don't think its a matter of people expecting to be "future proofed" when they buy a product - though let's face it, we live in a day and age where companies often release half-baked products with both the company and its customers having reasonable expectations that over time things will be improved with software/firmware upgrades.  But yeah, if, say, 5 years after I buy something, if the hardware it originally came with can't be made to do the latest gee whiz feature, I'm prepared to live with that.

At the same time, people do have a reasonable expectation of being "present proofed", which is to say that at some point the product should be able to do things (and do them well, and do them reliably) that people who purchased it reasonably expected it to be able to do when they bought it.  I don't think SoundTouch has ever come to that point and I won't speak for anyone else but for me at least, that is the source of my frustration here.  There's very *basic* stuff missing from the SoundTouch system that should have been reasonablly expected by anyone even when they were first released in the 2012/2013 time frame IIRC.

And yes, usually new product development and product support are separate things.  Its not so much that the new product guys have been developing this new system as opposed to more products compatible with SoundTouch, though that would have been nice.  It is that the seemingly scarce product support resources are now going to be divided further to support this new product line, which is not a good sign when its never seemed like up to now there's ever been much in the way of  product support resources devoted to addressing the existing issues with SoundTouch.  Its never seemed like Bose had any sense of urgency whatsoever in addressing the product's issues - changes that have been made have been made very slowly.  

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@Joel_D That's a reasonable explanation for why the hardware is different - I can certainly understand needing more processing power to deliver the Alexa functionality - but it doesn't really explain why the new system isn't compatible with the existing SoundTouch system at least when it comes to broadcasting audio between the speakers.  Surely support for doing this however SoundTouch currently does it could also be done on this new, more powerful hardware?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 28, 2017

Re: So Bose has moved on from SoundTouch, we should too...

Rubbish, Bose will never continue investing in a product they are no longer making money from. What happens when new music services come out, us SoundTouch users will be left in the dark as Bose will want to encourage users to buy the new ones.

massive f*ck up on Bose’s part here, I always preferred Bose over sonos, but at least they keep their customers loyal by supporting older products. They haven’t just ditched they old software. What’s to say Bose won’t do the same thing in 5 years and dump all the users of the new system? 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

Re: So Bose has moved on from SoundTouch, we should too...

I will move on from Bose. Too much issues with firmwares. Now with 2 eco systems that do not work with each other its the worst thing a company and do to a customer.