jhans
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Soundbar 500 keeps loosing connection with app

I recently purchased a Bose Soundbar 500 and I am having a number of issues that I hope can be resolved before deciding to return the product.

1. I am unable to consistently connect and use the soundbar via the Bose Music android app. After successfully using the app for a period of a few hours, the app loses connection to the soundbar and cannot reconnect. The only way I have found to reconnect is to uninstall the app, reboot the soundbar by cycling the power, then reinstalling the app and re-entering my login details. Things then work fine again for a few hours before the app loses connection to the soundbar. I have a Soundtouch 20 that works fine so I am pretty certain there is nothing wrong with my network/phone.
  2. Is there a way to get the soundbar to automatically switch to playing from the TV without pressing the TV button on the remote? After playing music the only way to get it to function as a TV soundbar is to press the TV button, can’t this be set to automatically change the input based on sensing that the TV is on through the HDMI ARC cable? This is further complicated that there is no TV button on the app (when it is working) as a result if the remote is misplaced/lost the soundbar cannot be used to play from the TV.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Soundbar 500 keeps loosing connection with app

Hi jhans,

Thanks for posting on the Community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

• How far away is the soundbar from the router?
  • If you can get the app to recognize the soundbar, can you navigate to the speaker settings and access the technical info.  You should see the RSSI signal strength.  Can you provide us with the value?

Regarding the TV input, this is only changeable via the remote control.  We can certainly add a feature request for you however.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

jhans
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Hi Tony,

The RSSI strength is -36. The unit is not that close to my router but there is a range extender ~5 m in another room.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi jhans,

Thanks for the update!

That actually is a great signal strength, so that may not be the issue.  As a test, could we move the speaker closer to the main router to see if it could be a potential interference issue?  Also, is there any pattern to when the app won't recognize the speaker like moving the app to the background and back again or every 30 minutes?  This will help us determine where to continue looking.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A