theorygeek
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2018

Soundbar 700’s Alexa responds even when it’s not the closest device

I have Echo Dots in most of the rooms in my house. Normally, when I start talking to Alexa, only the closest Echo Dot responds.

The Soundbar 700 doesn’t seem to correctly implement that feature, however. Because even when I’m on the other side of the house, talking directly into an Echo Dot, the Soundbar will end up responding. It’s particularly annoying because, since it is much further away, it often misunderstands what I’m saying.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Mpn
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Nov 23, 2018

Re: Soundbar 700’s Alexa responds even when it’s not the closest device

Lucky you. My 700 will not even connect and app is useless so is Bose connection instruction and service.

Wasted so much money only to buy a Bluetooth device which I could buy for $5.00
DanEllisUK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Re: Soundbar 700’s Alexa responds even when it’s not the closest device

Supposedly third party Alexa devices now automatically support "Echo Spatial Perception" (ESP).

See http://www.aftvnews.com/all-3rd-party-alexa-devices-now-support-echo-spatial-perception/

I only have a single device (Soundbar 700) so cannot test this, but seeing reports on here, it clearly does not work. Which is putting me off from buying a Bose Speaker 500 for the kitchen near by.

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but I still have not seen a response from Bose as to whether their devices are tested to work with ESP.