Comfuzed
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 31, 2018

Spotify Continuous Play 500 Problem

I have a single 5 minute white noise track in a playlist that I leave on loop all night. This has been working mostly, but irregualarl enough for me to get frustrated enough to post this.

It was happily looping last night for a number of hours and then when I woke noticed it had stopped. 

The Spotify app on my phone shows that the track is playing - the time is progressing as per normal - and says that the output is to the 500.  The 500 display shows the artwork for the track. Logging into the Bose app the "Spotify track playing" display shows no artwork and a spinning circle where the play/pause button should be. I had to turn the 500 off and on in order for it to start playing again (I did try force quiting the Bose app, but this made no difference). 

It would appear that some error had occurred at some point - maybe a temorary network outage?  Whatever it was, the 500 was not resiliant enough to detect and recover from the situation by picking up where it had left off from. There is some definet flakeyness in the Spotify Connect stuff .

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_430c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4309.jpg  UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_430b.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Spotify Continuous Play 500 Problem

Hello Comfuzed,

Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening, I would be frustrated as well, but I would be happy to help.

From what you have described to me, this could be a possibility that your router might be releasing and renewing the DHCP pool in the middle of the night which may be causing an issue.

Can you try logging into your router and see what your DHCP lease time is set for? If this is only set for 24 hours, I would suggest extending this for the max allowed time.

Let us know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Comfuzed
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 31, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion.  This too occured to me when I started having the problem but the unit already has it's IP reserved, so, basically static IP on my network.

Even if this were the issue, as a resilient consumer product, the Bose software should be able to detect and recover from a temporary network problem, not simply give up or jam. 

Community Manager

Hi Comfuzed,

Thanks for the update.  Would it be possible to test this while setting up the white noise audio from the Bose Music app vs Spotify Connect?  You should still be able to loop the single track within the Bose Music app.  

I'd like to also confirm, all the basic resets to the router and speaker have been completed?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Comfuzed
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 31, 2018

I have rebooted the router. I guess the scenario in describing here is that the bose app could not obtain the status from the 500 while spotify said it was still playing.

The issue was only resolved by rebooting the 500. I will continue to play via the bose app, but fairly certain it doesn't matter which way it's run. Side note, I have already turned off auto updates for Apps

Hello Comfuzed,

Thanks for testing that for us. 

Let us know how it works out using Spotify through the Bose Music app after a few days.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Comfuzed
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 31, 2018

Playing via the Bose App had been working fine until around Wednesday the 20th when the issue spotaneouslly started occuring again.

I have now switched back to the Spotify app as the Bose App seems incapable of playing the track on loop for any lenght of time.  Sometimes it does it 2-3 times, other times just the once. 

Community Manager

Hi Comfuzed,

Thanks for the update.  

This is a tough one since the failure tends to happen in the middle of the night.  We'd like to try and gather logs of this issue.  is it possible to have the sound system loop this track in the day or something different to try and recreate this issue?  HERE is a link to do so.   If you're able to gather them, let us know and we'll reach out to you via PM to collect the logs.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Comfuzed
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 31, 2018

I think the issue is related to:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Spotify-Mutes-After-First-Song-on-700-and-500/m-p/179293

Under unknown circumstances, the "second" track stops playing.  After a period of inactivity the 500 goes to sleep.  This would seem to match the scenarios I've been observing.