companion 5 volume control issue

Highlighted
Silent Starter

companion 5 volume control issue

I have a companion 5 and I am having a problem with the volume control wheel.  When I just touch the wheel the volume reduces to half and when I release it returns back.  Sometimes it just changes by itself.  When I turn the wheel it changes the volume but again when I release it doubles the volume.  This is a real nuisance.  When the unit was new 2 years ago it was fine.  What can I do to fix the problem.  Please help.  Sincerely Bob

3 REPLIES 3

Re: companion 5 volume control issue

Hello Bob! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that's happening, but would like to help! What source is connected? If you are using a computer, the OS may not be processing the volume smoothly. Try setting the master volume to 100% and controlling the volume with the system's control pod. 

Let us know so we can assist you further!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Audible Advocate

I have exactly the same issue. I have the impression that moving my hand close to the control pod will affect the volume, although sometimes the volume will also vary randomly when I am far from the control pod.
Obviously I tried various configurations of computer volume / iTunes volume / Control pod volume.
My configuration is with a Mac mini connected via sub to the Bose system.

I was considering buying a new pod but at 80E a piece without 100% certainty of compatibility or that even the problem is there, I would like to avoid that. Clearly I am quite disapointed, to say the least, with such a failure after a few years of moderate usage.

Hello rerollea,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience, but would like to help! The best way to determine if it is the Bose system or the Computer causing the symptom you are describing is to connect the Companion 5 to a different system and see if the problem persists. If that is the case then there may be something wrong with your Bose. If it does not persist, then there may be an issue with the operating system and you should check with Apple to see if they are able to offer any guidance.

In the case that you determine the Bose system isn't operating correctly, contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us".

Let us know what you find! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support