Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

Re: Airplay 2 - When?

Still waiting almost 3 years later for AirPlay 2. I was PROMISED this feature and spent well over $3,000 with BOSE. I am livid! I believe they should be refunding us for these lies.

RodneyPNA
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2019

Look I am glad that you added to this topic.  Because it remains relevant.  I am sick of Bose payroll moderators jumping in with soothing words of please wait this update is just around the corner.

The reality is that I filled a number of rooms in my house with what has become a legacy product.  They got my money on a very false promotion.  If they were an onshore company we could succeed with a formal complaint to the ACCC.  But as 

The only recourse really is that enough dedicated Bose customers like myself with decades of purchases from original Bose 802 through to multiple soundtouch systems & soundwear collars say never again you crooks you tarnished your brand.  I don’t trust you.

RodneyPNA
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2019

The really sad thing is that in my professional capacity.  I have brought significant media profile to bose by using their Soundwear collars on camera in live broadcasts as a device for commentators to quickly interview LPGA golfers on course mid event.

Yet in my own home I consider the waste of money I have spent building a distributed system that can’t span sound to multiple rooms as promised when I purchased.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>Yet in my own home I consider the waste of money I have spent building a distributed system that can’t span sound to multiple rooms as promised when I purchased.

Add an AirPort Express to your setup and you will get what you are looking for in a distributed speaker system. This is what I did with my SoundTouch system with multiple speakers around the house - works great!

Apple is selling refurbished units for $75.00. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=2ahUKEwibqfizydTlAhXZGDQIHR3HATQ...

I found this article some time ago. It is a little dated but is pretty complimentary about Airport Express’s audio capabilities. 

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm#meas

I remain very happy using Airport Express as a way to get Airplay into SoundTouch. With the latest AE firmware update, Airplay 2.0 works quite well. As a result Multiroom is achieved using macOS or iOS and SoundTouch.

RodneyPNA
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2019

Yep noisy narrator,  scroll up to the very top of this topic.  Some 14-18 months ago I opened the topic with the ‘work around’ that you are now suggesting back to me.

However their are three draw backs.

1).  My wife & I must switch each Bose ‘touch’ unit between aux inputs dependent on combined or isolated playback requirement.

2).  I purchased eight IE units which cost nearly $800 (inc shipping) to get what I in fact I had already been sold as a promised firmware upgrade.

3). Why should the business plan for Bose include being rewarded for misleading the market.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@RodneyPNA wrote:

Yep noisy narrator,  scroll up to the very top of this topic.  Some 14-18 months ago I opened the topic with the ‘work around’ that you are now suggesting back to me.

However their are three draw backs.

1).  My wife & I must switch each Bose ‘touch’ unit between aux inputs dependent on combined or isolated playback requirement.

Agree, having Airplay built in would negate using the Aux setting.

2).  I purchased eight IE units which cost nearly $800 (inc shipping) to get what I in fact I had already been sold as a promised firmware upgrade.

I added my AE devices when I bought my speakers. Back then there was:

No promise of Airplay

No multiroom on Airport Express

No “Aux in” wired rebroadcast feature on SoundTouch.

You made a sizeable investment on your AE devices, presumably before Bose’s promise of Airplay 2. Since then Airplay 2 supports multiroom on iOS and macOS using Airport Express devices. “Aux in” rebroadcast works well using AirPort Express on Sound Touch.

I don’t see the reason for your discontent.

3. Why should the business plan for Bose include being rewarded for misleading the market.

I haven’t seen any examples of misleading marketing since I invested in my SoundTouch gear some time ago, before any talk of Airplay 2. We made decisions to buy SoundTouch gear at a time when Airplay was not supported. Airport Express was  and is still a good way to get Airplay into SoundTouch. 

My first experience with Airplay on SoundTouch (ser 1) was not favourable, leading me to prefer AirPort Express for Airplay.

I do agree, Airplay on SoundTouch would be a good enhancement to an older line of gear. But all the heartburn expressed in the forum on this subject is perplexing, especially when there are solid options.