DanielF96
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2018

Re: Airplay 2 - When?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 12.10.43 PM.pngI find it a bit strange that airplay is in the users manual but hasn't actually been released. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

"We do currently have Airplay 2 in the works for our smart home products in the near future,"

SoundTouch is not a smart home product, as I understand it.

The negative implication is that A2 is not going to be implimented for ST devices.

What's weird is that once in a very long while, unpredictably, I am able to connect a service like PrimePhonic to one of my Series II speakers, which has Airplay 1, and then rebroadcast to ALL of my ST speakers, including another Series II speaker, a Series III speaker, a Link device supporting some old Bose computer speakers, and my Wave Radio IV, just as if I had Airplay 2 in place on all of them. This happened to me earlier this evening. You can imagine my disgust when I was unable to replicate it later. 

I also know for a fact that I can reliably link all of my Bose speakers together using Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil app from my iMac, using Airplay and bluetooth, the only limitation being how far away my bluetooth speakers are. So what this tells me is that Airplay 1 has the potential for linking multiple speakers, and that there's no reason bluetooth speakers can't be linked as well. 

All this has to mean that there is NO hardware reason that Airplay 2 cannot be made available for ST based speakers. I am certainly no programming expert, but my guess is that this capability has to do with the SoundTouch app rather than the speakers, though maybe a firmware update would be necessary to make it stable.

bosenite
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 12, 2019

I hate to break it down for everyone but Airplay 2 isn't coming. Ever. Forget about it. Bose got money (or is about to get money) from Amazon/Google with condition to not implement their products on Apple ecosystem and that is the real reason and the truth. All of the BS their reps are saying is just to keep them from getting sued for false promises.

I got one Soundbar 700 with bass module and surround speakers for the media room and had plans to buy 2 more AFTER they released Airplay 2 since i didn't trust they would actually do it and were just misleading customers. They do have Airplay 2 ready and have had it for a while now, they are just not releasing it.

So, FU Bose and your false promises! you got me only for 1 soundbar 700. at least i wasn't too much of a sucker.

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

@bosenite wrote:

I hate to break it down for everyone but Airplay 2 isn't coming. Ever. Forget about it. Bose got money (or is about to get money) from Amazon/Google with condition to not implement their products on Apple ecosystem and that is the real reason and the truth. All of the BS their reps are saying is just to keep them from getting sued for false promises.

I got one Soundbar 700 with bass module and surround speakers for the media room and had plans to buy 2 more AFTER they released Airplay 2 since i didn't trust they would actually do it and were just misleading customers. They do have Airplay 2 ready and have had it for a while now, they are just not releasing it.

So, FU Bose and your false promises! you got me only for 1 soundbar 700. at least i wasn't too much of a sucker.

And how did you come to this conclusion. Do you work for Amazon or Apple?

bosenite
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 12, 2019

let's just say i know people that know people. bose implemented airplay 2 a while ago. they are just not releasing it until some of things i mentioned above are finalized. it is very likely they won't release it at all and keep this game for a long time. (just look at ring, who got purchased by amazon, and their ring pro promise for homekit). sorry to break it to you.

RodneyPNA
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 13, 2019

>Many thanks for your question.

>I'm afraid we do not have an update regarding Airplay 2 currently. Once we have this information, we >will place a sticky post on the community.

>I hope you have a great day

>Leon_C - Community Support

You may have intended better Leon but applies basic rules of sentence structure to the above and:
What do you actually beleive that you communicated that the forum didn't already have.
Now moving forward . . . I do not want to let BOSE off the hook because they have not
shown integrity to customers that invested in the brand.

but I have my soundtouch 30 units are all connected through my home via airplay 2. 
Since the old Apple Airport express A1392 can be updated to firmware 7.8 it now has Airplay 2
compatibility.  You can but AE units now for $40-60 so I have one velcoed on the rear of all my
Soundtouch 30s then a tidy patch into Aux In.  Because the AE & Soundtouch both have a fig8.
power socket I even have a 'tidy off the shelf' power split cable.

It would be better if BOSE valued repeat customers because winning greater market share ismore expensive than retaining existing customers.  But my own solution gives me streaming throughout
the home, siri volume control plus isolating any room to thier source preference.

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

@bosenite wrote:

let's just say i know people that know people. bose implemented airplay 2 a while ago. they are just not releasing it until some of things i mentioned above are finalized. it is very likely they won't release it at all and keep this game for a long time. (just look at ring, who got purchased by amazon, and their ring pro promise for homekit). sorry to break it to you.

You can save the “sorry to break it to you” when Bose backs out. Until then I’ll use my Apple TV if I need to use AirPlay and ignore any people who know people. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I think I've got an easy workaround for the absence of Airplay 2, at least if the music source is on iOS. (Can't speak about the Android universe.) This worldaround enables me to play my music source through the SoundTouch app and on to any of my Bose speakers connected to my home wifi network. 

The speakers I have are WAVE Radio IV, SoundTouch 10, two Series II portables, and two Series III Links. The portables do not have bluetooth but do have Airplay 1. The others lack any flavor of Airplay, but do have bluetooth. All of them have wifi capability and are accessible from the ST app. 

I start the music with a non-Bose integrated source - Safari, iTunes, Idagio, etc., then connect to one of my  bluetooth-enabled Bose speakers, using the Settings on my iOS. Once the connection is made, I go to the SoundTouch app, and select the speaker I'm using as the master speaker. At that point I can relay the music to any of my other speakers using the ST app. 

With one exception (see bleow) this does not work if I my initial connection is via Airplay 1 enabled speakers. And I expect that it won't work with a Bose speaker that lacks wifi capability. 

But it works for my setup, and perhaps it will for yours. 

Here's the Airplay exception: I have found that if I start with the Spotify app & make my first connection from within the Spotify app to an Airplay 1 speaker instead of a bluetooth speaker, I can still link up to all of my speakers using the ST app. I have no idea why this works in Spotify when it doesn't work if my source app is not Spotify. It doesn't even work for Pandora, which like Spotify, is SoundTouch enabled. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

BTW, this bluetooth workaround also works on OSX.

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

@hdow wrote:

BTW, this bluetooth workaround also works on OSX.

Good suggestions. And yeah, Bluetooth works fine with my Bose 700. I just wish that they’d update the soundbar so that when you disconnect your device from it, it would default back to whatever the input was before instead of having to find the remote and push a button. A good example would be when you’re listening to something with Bluetooth on your iPhone and you turn the Bluetooth device off. It just goes back to playing through the speakers.