Airplay on home speaker 500 does not recover after a phone call interruption

Highlighted
Silent Starter

Airplay on home speaker 500 does not recover after a phone call interruption

Thank for providing the 3.1.7 Airplay 2 update.. Love listening to it from my iPhone and MacBook.. Everything works fine when I just stream the music from Pandora to the Home Speaker 500 using my iPhone. When however I have a phone call and the audio is interrupted, because I put it on hold, or if an ad plays on my iPhone that has audio included, the music that was previously interrupted does not continue to play, after I push the resume button on the Pandora UI. I know that Pandora thinks that it is still streaming using airplay, as I see the minute counter increasing on the iPhone UI, however no audio comes from the Home Speaker 500.. Looks like the interrupt logic might need a review.

I can ping my iPhone and Home Speaker 500 with no packet loss, so there is no issue with wifi network loss causing the interruption.

Thanks in advance for the assistance !

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Airplay on home speaker 500 does not recover after a phone call interruption

Hi Pvanamst, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.  I appreciate the positive feedback and would love to help you with this issue that you have encountered. 

I would recommend adjusting the Call Audio Routing in your device settings, this can be done via General > Accessibility and you can set this to the setting you require. 

Do you get this issue with just Pandora or across other streaming services too? 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Silent Starter

Re: Airplay on home speaker 500 does not recover after a phone call interruption

Hi,

I have the following set on both iPhones that I have under Settings, General, Accessibility: - Automatic.

I ran the following test cases:

1 - On an iPhone 7 or iPhone XR use Pandora or the Tune In app to stream using Airplay 2 to the Bose Home Speaker 500 an audio stream

2 - Call from another phone and answer the call. The audio keeps in streaming, which it does not do when I stream to bluetooth devices. When using a bluetooth device, the audio elegantly pauses when I answer the phone call.

3 - Whilst the call is active, switch to either Pandora or Tune In apps and place the music on hold.

4 - Complete the phone call after 2-4 mins and switch back to Pandora or Tune in.

5 - Press the pause button again to enable the audio stream.

The result is that the display on the Home Speaker 500 lights up with an image of the artist that I am streaming, but no audio comes out for a good 1 1/2 minutes. Music plays for 2-5 seconds and then pauses again. I see the time counter increasing on Pandora or Tune In, telling me that the audio is streaming from the iPhone

If I reproduce this test case with no answering of the phone call and just place the audio on hold for a couple of mins, I have exactly the same problem. So it appears that there are two bugs:

1 - When a phone call comes in, the audio should pause automatically, as it does with BlueTooth devices. I also selected the Home Speaker 500 as a bluetooth device after pearing it with the iPhone and the audio does pause as expected when a call comes in. So this behaviour is Airplay 2 specific.

2 - When placing the audio on pause for 2-4 mins, the audio stream does not recover fully. You have to disable airplay and reselect the Home Speaker 500 from scratch to recover the audio stream playing. Once again an Airplay 2 specific issue, as with the same iPhone, I can place a bluetooth audio stream on hold and recover after pressing play again.

It is reproducable on two different iPhones (7 and Xs Max) as well as two different apps (Pandora and Tune In), with both iPhones running IOS 12.2

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Paul

Hi Pvanamst, 

Thanks for posting this and updating us with your findings. 

I will pass this onto the development team and will update you when we hear more back from this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B