Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 24, 2020

Alexa doesn't switch off sound

I have a home speaker 500 which Alexa sometimes refuses to switch off the sound when playing radio stations. The sound reduces for a second or two, then resumes it's normal level and continues playing. Several attempts to stop playing have negative results, and the only way to silence it is to turn the unit off.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Alexa doesn't switch off sound

Hey @PaulJW!

Sorry to hear that! Are you asking Alexa to power off the whole speaker? Or, just turn off the current station playing?

Also, what command are you giving Alexa? From what you've described it seems that Alexa hears your call, briefly quietens the audio to hear for your command, but doesn't understand what's being ask as it continues to play music.

Try asking Alexa to pause or stop whatever station you're playing from and you might notice a difference. Let me know if you have any further information to add to the situation.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 10, 2020

I have the same issue with my smart Home 500.  This just started to happen the last 2 weeks.  I've had it for 2 months.  Previously OK.  I've disabled and removed Bose from the Alexa app and removed Alexa from the Bose app.  I've re-installed both without a change.  Alexa will turn on and play the appropriate request but will not repsond to  Stop, Standby, Stop music, Turn off etc...  There is an indication that she is hearing the request with the light bar and slight decrease in audio, then audio back up.  Can only turn off with the app or long hold on play.

Highlighted

Hello DJB, 

I'd love to help. Can I please ask which music source you are using and which region you are in?

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 10, 2020

Thanks Vicky for any help,

I have my 500 associated with siriusXM, Pandora and Spotify.  I primarily listen to siriusXM.  Alexa will turn on and play the requested station (80+% of the time) but doesn't respond to any stop or standby commands.  Location southeast US.

dbj

Highlighted

Thanks for the update dbj!

As you mentioned disabling Bose in the Alexa app already, was this the Bose (not for SoundTouch) skill in the Alexa app? If not I would recommend disabling this from the Skills and Games section of the Alexa app and then re-enabling it.

Does Alexa turn off music with Spotify or Pandora at all? Do you only have this issue with SiriusXM or does it behave the same with the other streaming services?

If it is just with Sirius, you may need to look at the SiriusXM skill for Alexa as well. In your Alexa app, go to Skills and Games and search for SiriusXM. If you haven;t yet enabled this skill you will want to do so, just tap enable and follow the instructions to get it up and running.

If you have previously enabled this skill, disable it first, then re-enable it to refresh the connection then give this a test with your speaker.

Let me know how this goes!