Adrian Cable6
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2020

Alexa issues on portable smart speaker

Having had the new Bose Smart portable speaker for about three months now. I have issues with it from day one but seemed to get it working until today. The Alexa element is a very poor add on but I need to say sound is fab. Going back to Alexa, my smart phone has all the details but the smart speaker doesn't play anything it's asked.

During lockdown I can't even go to a store to show them the issues I have so I'm now left with a block of black metal, so I'm hoping someone can help me

I've rebooted it three times, uninstalled all the relevant apps on the phone and still nothing. When asked to play, tracks from my Amazon music account and any tune in radio she just says mmm to do that enable the skill in your app and them discover devices. I can use the app through the phone to play through the smart speaker.

Stay home

3 REPLIES 3
Keith_L

Re: Alexa issues on portable smart speaker

Hi Adrian Cable6,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community!

It certainly is strange that Alexa has just stopped responding to you correctly. Let's see what needs doing to get this back up and running!

As it mentioned the skill needing to be enabled, what I would recommend we start by doing is disabling and re-enabling the Bose (Not for SoundTouch) skill in the Alexa app and then re-enabling it.

To do this what you want to do is go to the Alexa app, and navigate to Skills and Games > Your Skills > Bose (Not for SoundTouch). On this page, you will see the option to disable the skill. Once disabled the same page will change to have the option to enable, tap that, and follow the instructions to re-enable the skill.

This should do the trick, let me know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Adrian Cable6
Participant
Registered since

May 7, 2020

Thanks Keith,

I've tried this and also deleted the skill and reinstalled it twice, its still the same. I can play music through my phone and Alexa works on that but still when asked by the speaker to play nothing. Its starting to get frustrating as I changed my last Bose portable speaker for this version.

I've reset it to factory settings to start all over again but nothing, I really need help on this as I'm lost of what to do now, I've spent a lot of money for frankly the same functions that I already had.

Please please help

Andy_B
Community Manager

Hey Adrian,

Sorry to hear about your ongoing difficulties. What exact command are you giving Alexa, and what error message is returned? The more exact that you can be, the better. 

We have some great troubleshooting steps that you can take which are listed at our support site HERE and HERE. Please be sure to work through them in the order listed on our site, and let us know how you get on. 

An important step to take will be making sure the connection between the speaker and your Alexa account is removed. While one part of this is done within the Bose Music app, the other is done within the Alexa app. Information can be found via Amazon's support site for this process HERE. Please do this prior to re-adding/enabling the Alexa feature within the Bose Music app.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!