corry01
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2021

Alexa not working on bose smart soundbar 300

I have the bose smart 300 soundbar but I cannot access alexa through the soundbar only music. I have the bose app and alexa app but when I say "alexa" it actions it on my phone. I have unplugged everything, reset loads of times and my phone. Please help !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vicky_W

Re: Alexa not working on bose smart soundbar 300

Author Accepted Answer selected by corry01

@corry01,this can be done using your TV settings. You can set the soundbar as the audio output when watching movies, and when done you can switch it back to TV speakers. 😊

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tegan_M

Hi Corry01,

Thanks for reaching out.

Firstly, ensure that Alexa Bose integration is available in your country, you can view availability HERE.

If this is available, do ensure you have you set up Alexa within the Bose Music app. You can find instruction on how to do this HERE.

Let us know how you get on!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
corry01
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2021

Hi, I am in the UK

Also Alexa is set up on the bose music app and amazon alexa app.

I notice now I can speak to alexa on the soundbar BUT ONLY if I tap the alexa button on my phone first in the alexa app - should I be able to speak directly to alexa? Is there a helpline number to call please?

Jeff_G

You can speak directly to Alexa via the Soundbar. Please ensure the microphone is not muted. There is a button on the top of the speaker that engages the mute function. When engaged, you will see a red LED below the icon on the bar to confirm it is muted. Please ensure the red LED is not on.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
corry01
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2021

Thank you so much I can now speak directly to Alexa. 

I have one other problem : on the very first set up of the soundbar I skipped the part when connecting the cable to the TV - how can I get back to this stage please?

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to us Corry01.

I believe this part of the set is simply showing you how to connect the TV to the soundbar so you should just be able to plug it in and have audio. 

Let me know if this is not the case. 

corry01
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2021

I have managed to get it working now but I'm sorry just one last question : what if I want to turn the soundbar off from the TV?, I've tried switching it off on the remote by the TV button and on/off button but that doesn't work either?

Sam_F

I'm pleased to hear that, corry01. If your soundbar is connected to your TV using an HDMI cable in the ARC port, HDMI-CEC should come into play and automatically turn off the soundbar, when the TV is powered down. Is this not happening for you?

Be sure to check in the Bose Music app, under Settings > Power that Power Sync has been enabled for your TV. Also, be sure to try an HDMI reset to re-create the handshake:

1) Unplug the TV and soundbar from power. Remove the plugs directly from the strip rather than unplugging the strip from the wall (if a power strip is used). Keep all HDMI cables plugged in.

2) After leaving both units for two minutes, plug your Soundbar in. Keep the TV unplugged. The soundbar will flash white when plugged back in (rebooting).

3) When the white light on the soundbar has stopped flashing, press the TV screen button on the soundbar remote. 

4) Plug the TV back into power and test for audio.

Let me know if this helps and if you notice any new behavior!

corry01
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2021

Hello, what I mean is I don't always want the TV coming through the soundbar so how can I stop that as I only want it on when watching films?

Vicky_W

Author Accepted Answer selected by corry01

@corry01,this can be done using your TV settings. You can set the soundbar as the audio output when watching movies, and when done you can switch it back to TV speakers. 😊

View solution in original post