Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

Re: Alexa voice volume far too loud - Bose Soundbar 700

RCJ
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 25, 2019

I am having the same problem with the loud volume level of Alexa's voice on my Bose 500 speaker. I just switched to Bose from Sonos One's which were the perfect volume. Would be ideal if Bose added a function within the app to independently control the volume level for Alexa. One thing I have done is switch the voice responses to 'brief mode' in the Alexa app & all you get is a ding sound rather than her speaking after a command has been actioned. Of course, if you ask her a question, her response is still spoken loudly.

Hi RCJ, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

Alexa only has a standard volume at this time. There has been a request raised to Amazon to implement this feature. We will post to the community if/ when this is available.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

I’m curious.... with Sonos, can you adjust the Alexa volume independently or is it tied in in with whatever the overall volume setting is and just not as loud as the Bose?

Highlighted
PercyBottle
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

Here's a suggestion for those who suffer from unexpected volumes due to family members watching loud movies before going to bed...

Now that Bose supports Alexa routines, go into the Alexa app and create a "good morning" routine. The first thing that routine should do is set the Bose volume to something reasonable. Then it can start your daily briefing or a weather report, or whatever you're interested in. Now, when I get up in the morning, I say "Alexa, good morning" and she responds at the same reasonable volume, no matter where we left the volume the night before.

Itsjustmeee
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

That’s a good suggestion. What I would really like to do is to just have Alexa set my 700. Soundbar’s volume to a specific level every night so that it’s consistent in the morning and doesn’t blast everyone out of bed. I’m not sure that a routine can actually do that though. When I tried to create one, all I saw that Alexa could control is power off or on. 

Gkinghrn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 25, 2019

There is no need to create any routine for this ....

just tell Alexa to set its volume to 6 or whatever other number you want and it does it... a routine is too limiting .... 

In effect the only thing the soundbar needs is for you is for you to be able to configure the default Alexa sound level and I believe that’s what Bose have requested of Amazon .... 

PercyBottle
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

@Itsjustmeee wrote:

That’s a good suggestion. What I would really like to do is to just have Alexa set my 700. Soundbar’s volume to a specific level every night so that it’s consistent in the morning and doesn’t blast everyone out of bed. I’m not sure that a routine can actually do that though. When I tried to create one, all I saw that Alexa could control is power off or on. 

Yep, you can do that. In the Alexa app, add a new routine, then choose to trigger it by schedule rather than a voice command. For the action, choose "device settings", then "volume". Finally, when prompted to choose device, just select your soundbar.

Gkinghrn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 25, 2019

Could this be the issue we are all facing here.

i used the Alexa app to set a routine to set the volume on my soundbar to ‘5’ in the routine (you use a sliding bar to decide the level you want) ...the volume immediately went very very loud from that routine.

i then set it to 1 ...and that was much more what I was used to when I would say ‘Alexa set volume to 10’ .... 

it looks very very much like the spoken command on volume numbers is 10x the numbers on the app ...surely 1 on the app should be 1 when you set it by your voice? Is this an Amazon issue or a Bose issue then?

Trajce
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Anyone know if anything has improved with the ability to independently control the Alexa volume? It’s driving me insane.