Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Apple Tv - HDMI (ARC) sound quality vs Airplay (Bose 700)

Here is my setting: Bose 700 -> via ARC on my Samsung TV.  Samsung TV -> Apple TV 4k.

When I am watching content from the Apple TV, I can hear an "ok" sound quality, nothing extraordinary, however if I switch the Apple TV and send the audio via AirPlay instead of HDMI I get a much cleaner sound, better bass, etc. Its day and night.

Wondering if there is something strange with the setup or config, as I'd expect the audio from both HDMI and AirPlay to be similar. Its a pain to switch the audio to AirPlay everytime. Any insights?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Apple Tv - HDMI (ARC) sound quality vs Airplay (Bose 700)

Hello mops, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to hear that you are having this strange experience, I would love to assist you with this. 

Can you please confirm which series Apple TV you have, as well as what source you are streaming from the device? 

I would also recommend ensuring that you aren' streaming an audio format that the Soundbar 700 doesn't support, you can see how to do this here. The Soundbar 700 supports Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats. 

We can also perform a reset on the Soundbar by following these steps below: 

• Power off your system
  • Disconnect the power cord from the soundbar
  • If the accessory bass module or surround speakers are connected, disconnect the power cords from those also
  • When power is reconnected, wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot.

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 31, 2020

Hi Hector, thanks for the quick reply.

The audio settings on Apple TV is locked to Dolby Digital only to avoid using Atmos if available. I am using an Apple TV 4k, and i see the behavior on all sources, being netflix, prime video and youtube tv

Highlighted

Hi Mops, 

Thank you very much for confirming this for us. 

Were you able to perform a reset? Did this provide any improvements?

Please let us know!

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@mops wrote:

Here is my setting: Bose 700 -> via ARC on my Samsung TV.  Samsung TV -> Apple TV 4k.

When I am watching content from the Apple TV, I can hear an "ok" sound quality, nothing extraordinary, however if I switch the Apple TV and send the audio via AirPlay instead of HDMI I get a much cleaner sound, better bass, etc. Its day and night.

Wondering if there is something strange with the setup or config, as I'd expect the audio from both HDMI and AirPlay to be similar. Its a pain to switch the audio to AirPlay everytime. Any insights?

Interesting question. I wouldn’t think to send the TV audio to the SoundBar using Airplay. One reason, my Cinemate 130 doesn't support Airplay. But it seems to me that the current HDMI standards support enough bandwith to be at least the same as Airplay with the benefit of fixed connection - no wifi issues.

Using the recommended connections, my devices, which are becoming less in numbers these days,  are connected to the TV and one cable goes out the SoundBar using ARC. All my cables are at least HDMI 1.4 spec. I used the TV to register each device to ensure the correct settings, especially with the audio card of the TV. The sound is full and very detailed. 

I should suggest you:

Connect all your devices to the TV and run the setup for each device. This will allow the TV to recognize the device and configure itself accordingly. 

Ensure you are using at least 1.4 spec HDMI cables. 

Use the ARC port

Run AdaptIQ

What model Samsung TV are you using?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 7, 2020

Hi all,

I have the same issue. Never been fully happy with the sound via HDMI(Arc). When I tried Airplay for the first time I was like: woow. It‘s just sad that we do not get the full potential out of this soundbar via HDMI (Samsung TV Q7FN). Have you found any solution in the meantime? Thanks!

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Niki88  I have the same issue. Never been fully happy with the sound via HDMI(Arc). When I tried Airplay for the first time I was like: woow. It‘s just sad that we do not get the full potential out of this soundbar via HDMI (Samsung TV Q7FN). Have you found any solution in the meantime? Thanks!

I don’t doubt the sound from the Home Pod is very good but technically the HDMI setup should sound very good if not better. HDMI offers greater bandwidth than Airplay, which is the connection protocol your HomePod is using.

I suggest confirming your TV and Sound bar settings. I find “auto” to be your best choice. If not look for DD5.1.  

Don’t forget to check your HDMI cable.

As well what source are you using ? If Apple TV, check the audio output settings as well. There is an “auto” selection.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 7, 2020

Thank you rickatk. I am using Apple TV (HDMI) -> Samsung TV -> Soundbar 700 (HDMI Arc). However, I have the same issues when playing directly from TV. For example, playing a Music Video from the TV Youtube App to the soundbar (HDMI Arc) vs Smartphone Youtube App to the soundbar (Airplay). The latter has a much better sound quality. I think more and more that the sound output of the Samsung TV must be the issue (checked all sound settings and changed HDMI cable but this did not help)...

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Niki88 wrote:

Thank you rickatk. I am using Apple TV (HDMI) -> Samsung TV -> Soundbar 700 (HDMI Arc). However, I have the same issues when playing directly from TV. For example, playing a Music Video from the TV Youtube App to the soundbar (HDMI Arc) vs Smartphone Youtube App to the soundbar (Airplay). The latter has a much better sound quality. I think more and more that the sound output of the Samsung TV must be the issue (checked all sound settings and changed HDMI cable but this did not help)...

I am inclined to agree. Is the TV older?

I have a 2019 Samsung Series 8000 and have everything connected through the TV. I have CEC and HDMI ARC doing the heavy lifting. I am not using Apple TV hardware these days.  All work and sound very good. Better sounding than optical. I can confirm DD5.1 is activated.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 22, 2020

Hi everyone !

I got exactly the same problem, sound with HDMI Arc sound average and when i switch to airplay that so good.

Any news about It ?

Thx for your help and avdice.

Config:

QLED Samsung Q85

Bose 700 Soundbar with Module Bass 700