Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

Bose 500 Home Speaker failure with Spotify Premium

Bose product name Bose 500 Home speaker

Australia

Firmware Version current (manual updated twice)

App Version 4.5.4

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

While I can caste Spotify to a one day old Bose 500 Home speaker, when I call it up through Google Home Assistant, it says “Spotify is not properly linked” and advises me to reconnect within the Bose App and the Google Home App.
Spotify (premium) works on all the other Google home assistant speakers, not the Bose 500.

I note that in Google Home app, the Google Home Assistant units are shown with a “Play Music” but not the Bose unit which is blank.

From the Bose app I note it shows the Spotify account as linked.

I have also done the following.

• Unlinked Spotify and the re linked it.
  • Manually gone through the firmware update of the Bose 500 unit
  • Powered off both the Bose and the router/modem at the same time.
  • It is set up within 2 metres of the modem router.

I have never had problems with Spotify with my phone or home assistant speakers except with the Bose 500.

Can you please assist. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

Re: Bose 500 Home Speaker failure with Spotify Premium

Author Accepted Answer selected by Remcodin

Thank you. As I suspected all along was that the email address used to create the Duo account was not the same as the email address of the Google Home account.

I had to make a special request to Spotify to change it (greyed out). Once changed, the problem was solved. (Yes there was a second Spotify account in my name with the correct email address but it was the Duo account where the email address had to be corrected)

So Google Home speakers were not fussed, but the Bose 500 system was. 

So can I suggest you add instructions that the Spotify account must have the SAME email address as the Google Home system. This may sound obvious and I suspected that from the beginning but the way Spotify operates disguises that (at least to my understanding and it gets tricky with Duo when you join through your partners invitation who sends the invitation to the 'wrong' email address).

I hope this helps.

Thank you. 

Remco

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Jessie_O

Hey Remcodin, 

Thank you for your post and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your Bose Home Speaker 500 and Spotify. I will do all I can to assist you! 

I would recommend that you remove Google Assistant and re-add it to Bose Music app. Hopefully, this will help to re-establish that link between the Bose App and Spotify through Google Assistant. You can do this by going to the settings menu in your Bose Music App and heading to Voice assistant. Here you can remove the assistant as well as re-add. 

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

Thank you. No change.

Basically to partially repeat and expand. We can caste Spotify from our phones. We cannot access Spotify via the unit unlike the Google Home speakers we use around the house.

If relevant, we use Spotify Premium Duo version ie. we both share Spotify as a couple.

So i have removed and reinstalled Google Assistant from the Bose via the Bose app.

I have checked Spotify which shows the Bose 500 as a registered device.

The Bose 500 message (as posted) is incurred by both of us.

Hope you can help. 

BTW the firmware verrsion is 10.0.22-9517 + 741507e 

Jessie_O

Thanks for confirming this. 

Would you be able to check the Google Assistant application to make sure that you can see the Home Speaker 500 in the app as a device you are able to connect to. 

I look forward to your response. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

As I wrote in my first appeal, second para....

"I note that in Google Home app, the Google Home Assistant units are shown with a “Play Music” but not the Bose unit which is blank."

So everything is normal (the Bose is visible but not annotated with "Play Music" . Again I can engage Home Assistant except Spotify. 

As I wrote above, note that we have the Duo version of Spotify Premium, and I wondered if that is where the problem lies. If so, Bose needs to accommodate that Duo nature that the other Google Home speakers can, but not the Bose 500.

Jeff_G

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Just for clarification, can you please confirm the following: 

1. With regards to the Spotify app itself, if you open that, play a song, then select Spotify Connect (the icon that looks like a screen and a speaker) do you see the Home Speaker appear on the list and are you able to stream to it fine with no issues? 

2. If you try to select a song in the Spotify section of the Bose Music app, are you able to play songs? 

3. If you try to assign a playlist as a preset to the Home Speaker, are you able to instate that playlist when pressing the corresponding preset button on the top of the speaker? 

4. Have you tried any other music services and have they successfully worked by calling on them via the Google Assistant? 

5. Is the Spotify account on Bose Music the same account that is signed in on the Google Home app? 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

I must say the quality of Bose technology is matched by the Bose app and the customer service, thank you.
1. With regards to the Spotify app itself, if you open that, play a song, then select Bose Connect (the icon that looks like a screen and a speaker) do you see the Home Speaker appear on the list and are you able to stream to it fine with no issues?
YES
Under the Bose icon the words “Google cast” is absent not under the Google Home options
2. If you try to select a song in the Spotify section of the Bose Music app, are you able to play songs?
YES
3. If you try to assign a playlist as a preset to the Home Speaker, are you able to instate that playlist when pressing the corresponding preset button on the top of the speaker?
YES
4. Have you tried any other music services and have they successfully worked by calling on them via the Google Assistant?
YES functions for Youtube music
5. Is the Spotify account on Bose Music the same account that is signed in on the Google Home app?
Did you mean Bose App (not “Bose Music”?).
We only have a Duo account with Spotify. My wife is signed in as divsanten@xxxx as the username and she assigned me as the other party as remco@xxxxx. I cannot change that within Spotify even when I change my email address there to remco1948@xxxx Note that for Google I sign in under remco1948@xxxxx.
I was tempted to request Spotify to change my username to remco1948@xxxx but there is a risk of losing my music history.
Again, there is no problem with the other four Google home speakers, only with the Bose 500. My wife experiences the same Bose 500 in rejecting it. The Google Assistant opens with “Sure I will play blah blah and then comes with that error message I mentioned in my opening.

Charlotte_G

@Remcodin Thanks for getting back to us with the answers to these questions. There are a couple more things would like to check to see if we can get this working for you. Could you please go into the Google Assistant app and ensure that "Web & App Activity" is enabled. In the Google Assistant app, go to "Account" > "Manage your Google Account" > "Data & personalization," then turn on "Web & App Activity."

Are you signed in with the "Remco" email with Spotify on the Bose Music app and Google Assistant? Do you have more than one Bose Music account linked to one Google account? 

To ensure that the correct setup is completed, it would be great to factory reset the speaker and start the setup from scratch. Instructions on how to do this can be found HERE.

Once you've been through these steps, please do get back to me with the outcome.

Remcodin
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

First apologies for the previous scratchy response from me. This bulletin board is extremely sensitive to html legacies (so even when I set Word to text only, a cut and paste was rejected and I lost the text.) I required me to paste into Notepad and then into this bulletin board).

Anyhow yes that ""Web & App Activity." was already set to on.

This short of a factory reset leaves me with the email name and registration that you raised with Spotify. 
Perhaps I have not made myself clear earlier.

1. The email registration in Spotify was set up by my wife as initiator of the Spotify Premium DUO account. It was set to "remco@xxx" whereas Google AND Bose was set to "remco1948@xxx". The Bose was set up normally as with the Google Home Speakers that have NO problem.

2. If I go into Spotify I can change the email address to match Google (viz. to "remco1948@xxx" but I CANNOT change the username (viz "remco@xxx")

3. Note too that my wife cannot access Spotify either.

I conclude that the Bose 500 firmware has a flaw - a restriction not encountered with the four operational Google Home units.

The workaround is to write a special request (I hope they will respond)  to Spotify and request they change my USERNAME which was the ORIGINAL email address before I changed it to that as used by Google . 

I have not done a factory reset of the Bose 500 pending your response.

Marvin_B

Hi Remcodin.

Thank you for letting us know about this.

You will be glad to know that there has been an update with the firmware of the speaker.

V11.0.16 – Released June 8th, 2021
Enhancements

• These speakers will now support Bluetooth AAC Playback
  • Spotify
    • Gapless playback
    • Spotify Hifi support
    • Premium subscription required
  • SimpleSync™ Enhancements
  • General Bug Fixes 

Please try updating your firmware and that should address the issue. Here is the LINK. Try to update using computer and USB cable