Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Bose 500 - cant switch off! ??

Hello all,

I am lovvvvvvviiing my new long awwaited speaker but on the odd occasion(!) i want to switch it off i cant? there is no actual off button....am i missing something? i realise alexa will turn off but i want to be able to manually switch e.g. radio off without having to unplug it. would appreciate your help please...thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Re: Bose 500 - cant switch off! ??

AFAIK, these smart speakers (Soundbar 500/700 & Home Speaker 300/500) do not have an off switch. They only go to sleep mode with Alexa or Goggle Assistant ready to listen. If you want to disable voice commands, you have to press the mic button.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Thank you.

So if i have the radio on and want to turn it off the only way i can do this is by saying too Alexa "turn off".....is that the only way seriously?

Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

You can also press the play/pause button. But do note that it only goes to sleep. And it does not have a sleep timer meaning if you leave it on and you go away, it still keep on playing.
Highlighted

Hello Lilly4711,

Thank you for your question, welcome to the community. 

You would be correct in observing that there is no On/Off switch on the HomeSpeaker 500, however you can turn your speaker onto standby mode via the Bose Music App. When you have your speaker connected to your device, select the image of the speaker in the bottom right hand corner, this will provide a popup stating 'Standby'.

I hope this helps!

Tegan M - Community Support  

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 7, 2020

I have been switching it off directly by removing the plug from the power. Could it have damaged my speaker.?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 21, 2020

@Tegan M - Community Support  

So wait, the "o" does does not power off?  What is the "o" there for?  |-)

Changing to Aux appear to put it to sleep, but how about "o" = SLEEP?

Yeah?

Highlighted

This is correct Jeffleblanc, the o does not power off the system. 

The o is an action button that can be used to activate the voice assistant. 

You can learn more about what all of the controls/buttons do here

Please do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!