qmaur
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Bose 700 background volume levels not constant

Hi,
I recently purchased a Bose 700 soundbar with a Bose 300 Acoustimass module. While I'm very pleased with the audio quality with music reproduction, I'm facing some issues when it comes to movies or TV shows. The first impression I got when hearing to the soundbar was that it was 'too harsh', and that background noises were excessively amplified (something that was magnified by the Adaptiq calibration). I was able to counteract some of that by lowering trebles and upping the base, but the issue is still there, in some form.

But, on a more worrisome note, I realized that the volume level of background noise is not constant - in a quiet scene you could hear like very loud ambient sound (cars passing at distance, for example) - then, as soon as characters start speaking, the ambient noise goes down few notches (to the point that it's barely audible), and then comes back again when characters finish speaking.

I have not been able to solve this - at first I thought it was the source - e.g. the particular movie I was watching - but then I started noticing it in other sources too - with various connected devices. I can reproduce the issue regardless of how the soundbar is connected to the input device - either via TV through ARC, or directly (e.g. via optical cable) from the source.

I suspect that the soundbar is doing some processing of the audio, to make dialogue clearer (and, yes, i have "dialogue mode" turned off in case you wonder), something akin to some kind of dynamic range compression. Is this possible? Or is my soundbar defective and I should have it checked out?

Update: sadly it seems very related to the AutoGain feature described here:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/SoundTouch-300-odd-sound-from-foot-steps/td-p/32195

Has nothing been done to rectify this issue after 2 years? At least a toggle to disable whatever DSP the soundbar is applying?

2 REPLIES 2
92anpersson
Participant
Registered since

Jul 22, 2020

Re: Bose 700 background volume levels not constant

Same issue for me... And still waiting for an answer from Bose on this topic 

mps300
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2021

Re: Bose 700 background volume levels not constant - same problem on Smart soundbar 300

This sounds identical to a problem I have with a Smart Soundbar 300. I tried to discuss it with Bose but they said they haven't heard of it before. If I connect my TV to the soundbar with HDMI or optical, then in some parts of some movies or TV programmes the background noise is excessive during gaps in the dialogue. Strangely if I connect same TV to the soundbar with Bluetooth instead the effect doesn't happen. I've tried it with Sony TV and LG TV and it's the same effect on both. It's a very annoying problem. I assume the soundbar is doing some processing - dialogue mode is off by the way. Any comments please Bose? I can give you examples of Netflix programmes that clearly show the problem.... By the way, I can't use Bluetooth as a permanent solution due to lip sync issues!