Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Bose 700 subwoofer blinks amber, white, red

This morning, my Bose 700 subwoofer (14 months old) would not turn on with it's paired Bose 700 soundbar. I noticed the status light was pulsing amber, then it went to white and then to red. After a few seconds, it repeats this series of lights. I cannot find anywhere what this diagnostic means. Has anyone else had this happen with their Bose 700 subwoofer? 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 subwoofer blinks amber, white, red

Hey @Larbear,

Thanks for posting! I'm sorry that your Bass Module 700 is not performing as it should. 

Have you tried resetting the system? You can do this by removing the power for 30 seconds and then reconnecting. 

Let us know if this changes anything.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we did remove power for more than a minute but got the same results: Amber, white, red and then blank or off for 5 seconds. The pattern repeats after that. It appears to be a diagnostic code which is not documented. We suspect it's a blown capacitor on the circuit board. 

Highlighted

Hey @Larbear,

Thank you for clarifying. In my opinion, that doesn't sound like normal behavior from the unit - more precisely, the red LED blink will signify a firmware error. As you've tried a reset and not noticed an improvement, I would recommend contacting your local support team to look into the service options available for the product.

To find contact information, go to Global Contact Page > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'. Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

SOLVED!

This may sound bizarre, but from time to time, Bose will perform a 2 am to 5 am secret firmware updates to the Bose 700 soundbar. This assumes that you leave your internet/wifi access on all night. We don't. To save wear and tear on our modem/router, we power it down at 10 pm and turn them back on at 6 am. Because of that, we missed a crucial firmware update that affected our Bose 700 subwoofer. 

If you get the series of lights described here (amber/white/red) and your subwoofer won't turn on try this:

1) press the Bluetooth and skip back (|<<) buttons on the remote together for 5 seconds and your Bose 700 soundbar will enter "service" mode. This could cause it to search for firmware updates and perform them. 

2) If you have a laptop and a USB A to micro USB cable, plug the micro USB side into a tiny slot in the back of the soundbar marked "service". Then connect the USB A side of cable into your laptop. This will trigger a "handshake" between the devices (you should see a configuring new device message on your laptop). This action will also trigger any firmware updates to your soundbar and in turn, via Bluetooth, update your subwoofer too. If all went well, you should see the amber light turn to white on the subwoofer and it will start to play once it has a music source. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

Nice Analysis. Thanks for sharing!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

This is a short video of the problem, which has resurfaced.

https://youtu.be/2ffDW-IP0iw

This is an error code produced by a Bose Acoustimass 700 subwoofer after 14 months in service. I suspect the Bluetooth receiver has gone bad.