rskalitzky
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

Bose Home Portable - Shows in Bose Music App as "not available"

Just received my Bose Home Portable speaker and I've been struggling getting the device manageable within the Bose Music App.  This is super annoying!!!    I've gone through the setup within the Music App and although successful, took A LOT of troubleshooting and needless fiddling around to get the speaker to finally show up and configured in the app  (Restarted router, Reset device to factory defaults multiple time, manually connected to the speaker, etc.....).   Now, the device although visible in the app, shows as "Not Available".   The Music App is installed on a device on the same network as the speaker, and I have even confirmed this on my router in the list of connected devices.   At this point, I'm ready to ship back!   I'm a techie guy and this is frustrating to say the least!   

13 REPLIES 13
Charlotte_G

Re: Bose Home Portable - Shows in Bose Music App as "not available"

Hi rskalitzky,

Welcome to the Bose Community. I completely understand it may be frustrating when your device is not working as expected. As this is a Wi-Fi connected device, there can be many factors that complicate the connection. I'd love to help stabilize this so you can really enjoy the full potential of your Portable Home Speaker. 

You've listed some really great troubleshooting steps. I just want to confirm what you mean by manually connected to the speaker? Does this mean that you have tried to manually update the speaker's firmware? If not, could you please do so by visiting - Portable Home Speaker Manual Update and completing the steps.

Additionally, I'd love to gather some further details regarding your Wi-Fi network. Do you have a dual-band router? (2.4GHz and 5GHz)

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
rskalitzky
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

By manually connecting, I updated the latest firmware.

regarding the WIFI, I have both 2.4G and 5G. I have also connected the Bose to both bands with the same result.  Rebooting my router has also been done “each” time.

rskalitzky
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

Resolved the issue.  The Bose music app is installed onto my iPhone.  I always have the VPN option ON and this was causing the issue with the app connecting to the device.  Just have to turn the VPN off whenever I have to connect via the app from my phone.

rskalitzky
Participant
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

Correction, once you get through the setup with the VPN off, the app will still work once VPN is reenabled.

Vinas
Participant
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Hey all, I'd just like to add a tip.

After an hour of troubleshooting, I found that both the speaker and the mobile app attempt to connect to spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com.

If you are blocking traffic, that's the most likely culprit. 

Good luck and happy boseing

Ninconanco79
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2020

Hi Charlotte

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem of the guy you replied to some time ago with my new Home Portable speaker I received today brand new. I’ve done exactly the same troubleshooting steps but with no joy. But in my case I also have no VPN set on my iPhone (the guy in wits ion solved his issue by deactivating it!) so I have no idea what I can do now. The speaker is listed in my router connection but it appears as not available in the Bose app. Please help! 

Charlotte_G

Hey @Ninconanco79, thanks for joining the conversation and welcome to the Bose Community!

I am sorry that you're unable to find your speaker in the Bose Music app. Is your device connected to the same network? You won't be able to find the speaker if your phone/tablet is using cellular data.

Another possibility is the bands of your network. Do you have a dual-band router and if so are the bands split and named differently? (2.4GHz and 4GHz)

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Ninconanco79
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2020

Hi Charlotte , thanks for replying and for welcoming to the r

My problem is different. Bose Music app does find the speaker but is not able to perform the product activation. After connecting the speaker to same WiFi of my device where I have the app the, after few seconds the connection drops. As results the activation can’t be performed. I have a dual band router but I obviously connected the speaker to same band and tried with both bands. But the result is the same.
Also the WiFi connection drops only on the device I use for the activation but not on any other device connected to the same band. So it’s not a problem of my WiFi which is stable and very fast. I even tried to disconnect all devices from the WiFi with exception of that one with the Bose app in case the problem was due to excessive internet traffic...but it didn’t work!

Literally I spent two full days trying every possible thing (resetting speaker and router, using other mobile devices to activate the product, deleting and downloading again Bose app, and many other things) but didn’t solve the problem. The app find my speaker but status is always “product not available” as can't do the product activation.

I’ve also called the technical ten of my internet provider and they tried to do lots of changes in the router settings (DZN, firewall, band channel and other very technical things I don’t remember) but still no joy.

Honestly at this point I’m ready to send the product back with my great disappointment l. Unless you can work some magic...

But I reckon the product is faulty.

Thanks 

Valerio

Jessie_O

Thanks for all the detail there, Valerio.

This is certainly very strange. When the activation failed were you able to try and activate again start afterward?

Is this during the initial set up? Is so, I would recommend a factory reset of the speaker by following these steps: 

1. Connect the speaker to power. If pulsing white lights appear in the light ring, wait for the pulsing to stop before proceeding
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons for ten seconds until the light ring is filled with white light.

Once complete, delete the connection on the application before trying to reconnect to the application. I know you have mentioned doing some resets previously, but the order is very important. 

If this is unsuccessful, I would recommend reaching out to our team by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country, and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. One of our team will be more than happy to help!

Let us know how you're on.