WZot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

Bose Home Speaker 300 AUX IN latency

I've got the Bose Home Speaker 300, and was planning on using it as a speaker for my computer. I am experiencing latency/delay on the speaker. There is a delay of 0.25-0.5 seconds between the video and the sound playing on my BHS300. This is not an issue with other speakers, using the same cable for AUX IN. Is this a known error, and is there a workaround.

I can probably live with it, but I would obviously prefer no latency...

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose Home Speaker 300 AUX IN latency

Hi WZot, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing latency issues with the Homespeaker 300. This is unusual behavior and I will do all I can to assist you! 

I would recommend checking that your Firmware is up to date on both your source device and the Homespeaker 300. You can check this on the Bose Music Application. 

I would also double check your video source as there may be a setting that allows you to toggle the Audio Sync. 

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support 

WZot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

I believe the firmware is up to date, as it got updated when I first configured it about a week ago (I will double check later today). The computer it is connected to is up to date with regards to drivers and OS software.
I am just playing YouTube videos, but I know it is possible for say VLC to add a delay when playing other videos. That would not work on YouTube however. The same videos play without latency using some other speakers I have (just switching over the cable). I can not find a setting for configuring latency in the app.

I'd expect latency on Bluetooth and AirPlay, but not AUX-IN.

Part of why I wanted a smaller speaker like Home Speaker 300 is that it is portable (more portable than the computer speaker setup I have today) but still with good bass. Portable so I can bring it with me when traveling if I so wish.

Hello WZot, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I am sorry but I believe this is due to the speaker processing the audio and then outputting the audio to the speaker. 

This speaker was mainly designed to be used for music and not TV audio, so there is no perfectly lag-free solution. 

I would recommend checking the firmware version and seeing if there is a delay on any other forms of video such as Netflix. 

I look forward to hearing your findings. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

WZot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

I've checked the firmware version, it is 1.2.2 which is the newest version from June 2019 according to https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Smart-Speakers-Firmware-Update-June-20-2019/td-p/213976

It sounds very plausible what you are saying about processing; I am aware that Bose is a bit (in)famous for processing the audio; but I wouldn't except the latency to be that pronounced  -- even in a speaker like this. To be honest the latency is quite a minus in my book, so it would be nice if you could send some sort of feedback on this back to the product team.

Latency on Bluetooth and to a certain extent Airplay is to be expected, but not AUX-IN in my humble opinion.

Hello WZot, 

Thank you for getting back to us. 

I have tested this hear and cannot notice a prominent audio-video delay. I tested on both YouTube and Netflix, connected via AUX to a Dell Windows 10 system. 

Do you have an alternative device you could test with? Even a mobile phone? 

Additionally, have you only tested with YouTube? Do you get a delay with any other video applications?

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

WZot
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

I find it noticeable enough to bother me, eventhough it might be just a split second. I guess it depends on what kind of video you are viewing, but try this food spotting video on YouTube as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtarxm5EJRk

It is fairly noticeable that the video is "in front" of the sound output. I do not get the same result with my other speaker. I get the latency on other video websites such as Vimeo, and playing videos in VLC (there I can change the audio delay however).

Per your request I have also tried the speaker with another computer, a quite high end Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. I am getting the same latency on the laptop as on my desktop computer (it also runs Ubuntu 19.04, compared to Windows 10 on my desktop). As previously mentioned, I do not experience this with my old "dumb" speakers.

josephryanwynne
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

Just jumping in here to say I've got the same problem with AUX input delay. I was just trying to use the speaker for my electronic drum kit but with such a massive delay it's completely useless. I bought the speaker mostly for listening to music so it's not the end of the world because it's good at that. However, I think for an expensive little speaker it's pretty disappointing that one of the basic features works so badly.