drummerdowling
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Bose Home Speaker 300 randomly dropping connection to Spotify Premium

I recently purchased a new Bose Home Speaker 300 and use the built-in Google Assistant to access my Spotify Premium account and Fm radio stations.  We don't use any other devices to activate music on the Home Speaker - everything is through the built-in voice control.

At least once a day, after successful use for about a week, I will ask for a Spotify playlist, the Google Assistant will respond that it found it, and no music is played. The only fix is to log into my Spotify Premium account on my laptop - where the playlist is playing with no sound, change the sound source from the Home Speaker 300 to the laptop speakers, then change it back again to the Home Speaker. This works until it has mysteriously dropped the connection randomly from a period of a few hours to overnight. 

Any suggestions are welcome - this is very frustrating! 

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 300 randomly dropping connection to Spotify Premium

Hi Drummerdowling,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be having with your Spotify account being controlled by voice commands. I'll be happy to see if I can assist you! 

Can you tell me if you experience the same issue with other sources? Such us TuneIn, Pandora, Amazon?

I would recommend removing the music service and readding it. To do this, click the icon in the top right on the 'My Bose' screen > Manage Music Services > edit > Delete. Follow the same instructions to add it back to your services. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
anibunnie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2019

Hi, 

I also have the same issue with my Bose Home Speaker 300 with a spotify free account. 

On trying to set it up a few times following troubleshoot advice and readding Spotify music service, it still does not work.

The scenario goes something like the following with voice activated Google Assist (GA) :

Me: "hey google , play the playlist  UK TOP 50"' 

GA: "alright, the spotify playlist called UK TOP 50, here you go''

...... SILENCE......

No matter how many times me and my husband's tried... there's nothing.

I have tried this so many times and it is so frustrating!

We received this as a xmas present and utterly disspointed on how difficult it is to set it up. 

Highlighted
drummerdowling
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Jessie,

The problem is mainly with Spotify streaming. Don't really notice it with TuneIn radio.

I went into the Bose app, deleted the Spotify Premium service, re-added it. The problem happened again soon after that. The Spotify sometimes happens after a Playlist has finished - it's almost like it sometimes drops the connection when a playlist is over.  

Alan

Highlighted
anibunnie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2019

Hi Jessie, 

I also do not have problem voice commanding Tune-In with the HS 300... the problem for me is also using this with the spotify streaming service.

Highlighted

Hello @drummerdownling,

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming this information. 

I have a couple of recommendations that I would love you to test. First, let's reset your speaker. You can do this by removing the power for 30 seconds.

Please also check that your speaker is running the latest firmware. This can be done by visiting Manually update your Home Speaker 300.

Lastly, reboot your router by disconnecting from power for 60 seconds.

Hi @anibunnie,

Welcome to the Bose Community! I'm sorry that you're also experiencing some issues with using the Google Assistant to command Spotify. 

Please follow the steps listed above to see if the behavior improves and report back the outcome. 

I look forward to hearing back from you both.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
anibunnie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2019

Hi Charlotte_G, 

I have followed those instruction this morning and still ... SILENCE and no musice after i voice commanded for spoitfy music streaming. 

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Also, on a side note I received this as xmas present few days ago from a friend who's visiting from Hong Kong. She told me she did purchase the home speaker 300 from HK and not Australia where we live. Could that have anything to do with why this issue is happening?

And if i still can not get spoitfy to work by voice commande,  can I return this to a Bose store in australia for exchange or refund?!

Highlighted

Hi Anibunnie,

Thank you for coming back to us!

I’m sorry to hear that the suggested troubleshooting has not resolved your issue for you.

I would recommend making sure that you have added your Spotify account to the Google Assistant application. I have included a LINK HERE that should assist you with how to do this.

I can see from your original post that you are using the free version of Spotify. Whilst we support this through Spotify Connect, this may be where you are running into some issues through voice control. As you are unable to play a single song through the free version or play a playlist without shuffling, the voice control may not be able to do this.

Let me know how you get on!  

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Highlighted
anibunnie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2019

Hi Jessie_O, 

I have re-added the spotify account to the Google Assistant app as per the instruction you sent (which is the original steps I took to add the music streaming account). 

It still does not work.

I am using the free version of spotify , but with my google home, it had never been an issue with voice commanding music from Spotify even when the account is free. 

Yes i understand i can't request specific song or a a playlist without shuffling on the free version.  But on my google home, the google assistant will at least play music via suggestion related to what i am requesting. For example, When i request "hey google, play hans zimmer from spotify" on my google home, it replies "choosing songs is only avaliable to spotify premium subsribers, but here is a spotify playstation featuring hans zimmer" and play something from Hans Zimmer.  Something like this does not even work on my home speaker 300 and it is really quite disappointing. 

Highlighted
drummerdowling
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

I've applied all the these steps and will monitor the connectivity. 

Earlier this morning, the Home Speaker said "Bose Music not available" and wouldn't play radio or Spotify for a period before I applied the fixes. I couldn't log into the Boas app on my phone or into the Bose website. Looks like the entire system was down for a short period of time as I can log into everything now.