Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Bose Home Speaker 450 Firmware Update Frozen

My ISP updated my WiFi. I had to update all my devices to the new Network name and password. I have two Bose Home Speaker 450s, one in the Living Room and one in my Bedroom. As I tried to update the Living Room speaker to the new Network name and password it froze in the Update mode with the Light Bar sliding from Left to Right. It has been like this for over a week. 

I decided to try my luck connecting the Bedroom speaker to the new Network with the new password. I had to delete the speaker and install a new speaker in the Bose Music app. The Bedroom speaker is now acting properly, but I do NOT know if it ever updated.

For the Living Room speaker I have followed the guidance on this site for Reset (Volume - and AUX for 10 seconds) and Recovering After a Failed Update (Action, Mute, Action, Mute). As soon as I reinstall the power plug after waiting  seconds the light bar begins its Update progression from left to right, and the speaker does not respond to the button sequences a

I have also tried to disable WiFi (Play/Pause and Bluetooth for 5 seconds) with no response.

The Living Room speaker has been deleted from both the Bose Music app and the Amazon Alexa app.

Please Advise

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 450 Firmware Update Frozen

Hey @RiffRaffAK, thanks for posting!

Very sorry that you've had some trouble switch the network on your speakers. It's strange that one of your Home Speaker 450's is stuck in this update mode. The research and steps you have completed really help, so let's see what we can do next. 

Please attempt to manually install the update by follow these steps:

1. Use the following link to download the update file for your product: worldwide.bose.com/Support/HS450FW
    • When prompted, click Save and save the update file to your computer's desktop
      • If the prompt does not appear, the file may have downloaded automatically. Check the header or footer in the browser window, or check your Downloads folder
      • Do not rename the file
  2. Connect a USB A-to-Micro USB cable from a computer to the "SERVICE" jack on the back bottom of the product (next to the power cord)
  3. Reboot the product by disconnecting its power cord for 30 seconds
  4. Wait for the product to reboot: While rebooting, the light bar pulses white; when rebooted, the light bar turns off
  5. Simultaneously touch and hold the Volume - and Volume + buttons on the top of the system for 5 seconds to enter service mode. A 5 second countdown appears on the LED to confirm
  6. Open a web browser and go to http://203.0.113.1:17008/update.html
  7. At the file update screen, click CHOOSE FILE
  8. In the file selection window, find and select the "product_update.zip" file you downloaded in Step 1
  9. Click UPLOAD and wait while the update is installed.

I can see that previously you weren't able to use any button sequences on the speaker. If you're unable to after the reset, and therefore not able to complete this procedure, please do let me know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Charlotte G,

Thanks for your instructions. I proceeded thru Step 4, but upon receiving power this speaker immediately goes into Update Mode with the lightbar sliding from left to right. As with previous attempts, No button pressing brings it out of this mode, even with the Micro USB connected. Thus, it never Reboots, Responds to Volume +/- for 5 seconds, nor goes into Service Mode.

Highlighted

@RiffRaffAK I appreciate you taking the time to attempt this! Sorry that it did not resolve the issue. 

At this point, it seems that your Home Speaker 450 will need to be booked in for repair. You can do this by reach out to local support here - Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'.

You can also use our self-service portal if you're in the US (Service & repair request) or Canada (Canada Service & repair request).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Hi, I am having the exact same issue with my 500..no lights & have tried all that is suggested in the troubleshooting guide & what was said here. Bummer!! Guess needs service too..would be nice to know why it does this. Wish there was an actual reset button on speaker..

Thanks.. 

Have a good evening!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Is this the best a global corporation like BOSE can do when it comes to customer support?

Last night i purchased 2 Bose Home Speaker 450.  The first set up perfectly.  The second, its the next morning and I still havent been able to get it set up.  I have tried a Reboot, Factory Reset.  Each time when it gets to Updating software it stalls.  

I have followed the instructions on this page and I do not get to the point were the unit does not flash its white light.

I am very disappointed.  I am knee deep in with the bose products with a Sound Bar 700 with Sub and Surrounds.  I wanted the 450s to be used around the house.

Is there not an 800 number to call.

Highlighted

Hi @Gdcraft,

Very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with updating your Home Speaker 450's.

We appreciate you taking the time to already perform some troubleshooting, can you let us know if you were successfully able to connect these to your network?

What is the LED status when your update gets stuck? Does this also happen at a certain percentage?

The update you're performing also, are you doing this via the Bose Music app?

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!