Highlighted
danielleetc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Bose Home Speaker 500 Airplay/Wifi issues

I noticed an issue where, if I switched in playing something using airplay, I cannot switch back to using Spotify connect via wifi on the Bose Home Speaker 500. After playing Youtube (audio) via airplay on the speaker, I would switch back to Spotify connect via wifi, and it will not play. Pressing the play button would not result in anything. This issue is repeatable, and the only way to get out of it is to switch off the power to the Bose Home Speaker 500 and turn the power back on again, like a reset. 

Anyone else facing this issue and have a workaround? Is this is bug in the firmware? Thanks in advance. 

17 REPLIES 17
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 Airplay/Wifi issues

Device switching seems to be a pretty common problem with many Bose products.  The only way some of us are able to do it is to switch the Bose off and back on so it will reset to the other device.

Hi Danielleetc,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties switching between Airplay and Spotify. 

Are you able to switch to Spotify in the Bose Music Application?

Are you able to switch to any other Sources? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support 

danielleetc
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I was not able to switch to Spotify app either. It doesn't seem to respond. So far, switching off the product works. For such a premium product, I do not think this is the best solution. 

And I recently discovered a new issue. The LCD screen does not show the artist or info (remaining in clock mode) whenever the speaker is playing. It does not matter if I was using the Bose Music App, trigger the preset physically from the speaker, or playing it through Spotify app, airplay etc. Same thing here, only powering off and on the speaker solve the issue, but the issue will immediately come back the next day. So imagine that I have to power off and on everyday. 

I thought I may be able to solve the issue by reinstalling the firmware. My attempt to enter to service mode failed although I followed the exact steps. I gave up and did a factory reset. I am monitoring the situation after this reset. 

wooknoz
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

same issue with Bose Portable Home speaker as reported here

NRC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Hi, 

This issue is there and tried to explain Bose but they didn’t do much and no fix in software updates. 
Hardware department Bose is good but Software wise is crap. Bose Music app is slow and buggy. I use it only for setup and change any settings.

wooknoz
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

FWIW, @Sam_F proposed a workaround here

s_magon
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

I am also facing these issues and had to restart the device every time I play from bluetooth wifi doesn't work

Hey s_magon, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. Sorry to read that you are also having this issue! 

Can you please confirm that you have attempted the steps above in the post that links to Sam_F's steps? If you have attempted this and the same issue still persists please do let us know. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of this. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

s_magon
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

That post won't help as I am not using any other App like Spotify or any other. I am just trying to connect with Bluetooth and after that Bose Music app doesn't show product available until I restart the Bose speaker