Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

Bose Home Speaker 500 & Airplay problem

I bought 4 Bose 500 speakers for my home.  After jumping through the countless hoops, I was finally able to connect them all to WiFI and my iMac Airplay, using iTunes as the music source.  I was able to select zones to play music, adjust the volume.  All worked well.  Occasionally, a speaker or two would lose the WiFi link, but I was able to get them re-connected and working.  Yesterday, everything quit working.  I tried to connect the speakers to WiFi. I got a warning from Bose (on my Bose app) that things had changed on their end and I had to quit and log back in.  Done.  Tried connecting to each individual speaker and re-connect to WiFi.  Warning from Bose that the speakers were having a hard time staying connected to the "cloud".  ???Why do they need the cloud???  Nothing seems to bring them back from the dead.  Have I wasted $1000?  I'm ready to post my experience on every review site .  BOSE....what did you change?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 & Airpaly problem

Hello jmctn,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am sorry that you're no longer able to maintain a connection to your Home Speaker 500 speakers through AirPlay 2. I would love to see what I can do to help.

My first recommendation would be to perform resets on your speakers and your router also. To do this, simply removing the power for 30 seconds from the speakers. For the router, remove the power for 60 seconds. Once everything has rebooted, try establishing the connections again.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

Oh, believe me, I've reset everything multiple times.  The window on the 500 speaker has a Wifi icon on the screen like it's connected to Wifi, but no sound comes out.

Highlighted

Hi jmctn,

Thanks for letting me know. 

Are you able to play anything from other sources? Such as TuneIn from the Bose Music app?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

I was able to play via Bluetooth to one speaker (limited to one).  It played very poorly.  The computer was 10' away.
Highlighted

Hi jmctn,

Thank you for trying that for us.

Are your speakers able to be controlled through the Bose Music app at all?

Also, what has the light bar above the screen on your speaker been showing when you try and connect via airplay?

Something that would definitely be worth testing, on one speaker to start with, would be a factory reset of the speaker. That way we can reconnect the speaker to everything from fresh and see if the issues still happen.

To do this you would want to press and hold the Volume - and AUX buttons together for 10 seconds. After this, the speaker will reset and you can reconnect it to your network.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

I unplugged all 4 speakers and let them sit for a while.   I reconnected each speaker, one at a time, back to the home WiFi via the Bose app.  There was no warning this time about "the cloud".  All the speakers appeared in the Airplay of my iMac.  Everything is back to normal.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

Here's the warning I was getting on the Bose app after connecting to the home WiFi.IMG_0186.PNG

Highlighted

Hello jmctn, 

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm glad to hear everything is back to normal. Did the issue also occur when you turned Airplane Mode off? 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

The "cloud" warning happened when I was in Airplane mode and normal WiFi mode.  I was trying all variables.  Same warning and non-connection at the time.