bciotta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Bose Home Speaker 500 compatibility with 700 soundbar/Bass module/surround speaker system

I recently purchased a home theater system for our great room which includes the 700 Soundbar/Bass module/Surround speakers.  The system is up and running and I am very satisfied with it (wow!  sounds great!).  

I am now considering adding a Home Speaker 500 to be used either on the back patio when we are outside or in the kitchen, which is attached to the great room.  I have read that this device is compatible with the system I have already purchased through the Bose Music App.  But I'm wondering how this will work together - specifically:

1) will I have options to play music together or separately?  For example, say we are sitting outside and I just want music on the patio, but later decide to turn it on for both the home theater and the patio.  Are both configurations possible and easy? 

2) will I have an option to play the same music when in the kitchen as an extension to the home theater? 

Thanks much!

7 REPLIES 7
DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 compatibility with 700 soundbar/Bass module/surround speaker system

Yes to both your questions. The speakers are completely flexible to play together or separate. All at once or one at a time. Separate songs on each speaker if wanted. No limitations. 

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 compatibility with 700 soundbar/Bass module/surround speaker system

Hi bciotta,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am very glad to hear that you are enjoying your systems and would love to answer your questions. 

I can confirm that @DubCity is correct and that 1) The systems can work together and can be grouped and ungrouped via the Bose Music App. They are also very easy to group and ungroup! 2) Yes, you will also have the option to play the same Music via grouping the systems! 

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please do let us know😊

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support

DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

I should mention that you may want to hold off on any purchases right now if you are on ios 13 via iPhone. The volume slider is severely bugged in the Bose music app rendering the smart home speakers entirely nonfunctional. 

bciotta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Many thanks to both you and @Hector_B for the replies.  I especially appreciate the warning about IoS 13 as I am in fact in that environment. 

Best regards!

bciotta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Question @Hector_B or others in the community  - now that IoS 13.1.2 is out is it safe to assume the Bose app compatibility issues you discussed below are resolved wrt my questions about combining a home speaker 500 with the 700 system?

Many thanks!

Highlighted
DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Unfortunately no. Bose hasn’t done a single thing to fix the Bose Music App’s speaker-breaking bug with the volume slider in iOS 13. 

bciotta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Thank you @DubCity -.  I'm sorry to hear this.  I've had some success using Alexa to control volume and I also have use of the iPhone volume control when I play music to the sounder that way (or with the Mac) so I might be ok until...

Is this the only thing that is broken with the app at this time with IoS 13?  

Thanks!