Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2020

Bose Home Speaker 500 issues with freezing and music randomly stopping

I am having 2 intermittent issues with my Home Speaker 500:

1. the speaker is freezing intermittently (occurs a few times a week). When this occurs it is unresponsive to voice commands or button presses. I need to unplug it from power and plug it back in before it starts working again, and

2. the speaker will intermittently stop playing music without warning and won't restart without manual intervention. This occurs while listening to radio stations using TuneIn, stations via Spotify, Stations via Amazon Music, and Spotify or Amazon Music playlists

Is there anything I can do to further diagnose these issues, or is there a fix available?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 issues with freezing and music randomly stopping

Hey Kenn0171, 

I am sorry to hear that this is happening. 

Let's see what we can do to fix this. Please can you confirm what phone you have and if you are using the Bose Music app when these issues occur? Let's try updating the speaker and see if this helps. Also, have you changed your WiFi or moved recently?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2020

Thankyou for the reply.

The phone I'm using is a Samsung Galaxy S10e.

When this happens I'm either using the presets that I've setup using the Bose Music App, or by using Alexa on the speaker. I'm not specifically using the Bose Music App.

I have just updated the speaker to firmware 7.0.9-8655+1183664, so I'll see if the problem reoccurs

Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2020

After updating the firmware I have found the issue remains.

I can confirm that I haven't moved housed and there has been no change to my internet or my houses wifi.

Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2020

Hello, I've exactly the same issue.

I've this Bose Home Speaker 500 now for one year and a three months and this problem was there since the beginning.

Randomly it stops playing Spotify or TuneIn.

I always use the present buttons to start playing music.

If this issue happens, the speaker is completely frozen or sometime it show the message "that didn't work".

I have to unplug the power , wait a few minutes and then plug in the power again to get the speaker back in service.

The actual Firmware version is 10.0.10 but I've also seen this same issue on the previous firmware version 8.0.14. 

A few weeks ago I've done a factory reset of the speaker and reinstalled the Bose app on my Samsung S10e but this isn't the solution.

Is there anything I can do to further diagnose these issues, or is there a fix available?
Does the speaker has logfiles that I can read to identify the root cause of this issue?

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and joining the discussion!

When your speaker freezes while playing music, what, if any, light do you see from the speaker's lightbar? Which of THESE statuses is closest to what you see? Depending on what the lightbar is showing it can help provide insight into what is causing the speaker to stop playing.

The factory reset you have performed, and reinstalling the Bose Music app, are both great troubleshooting steps to try for this, so thank you for trying that and letting us know!

As the speaker seems to be freezing and becoming unresponsive, it would be worth plugging the speaker into another power outlet, in another location, to make sure nothing in the environment near the speaker is triggering these freezes.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

This  exact thing happens to me all the time, and this is why I logged onto to try and resolve it.  Its using tune in and pre sets, or I use Alexa to call up my Spotify account. My wifi has not changed and I changed wall sockets and it made no difference. I did a reset, and I control the Bose app via my iPad. I have been home for the holidays and have noticed the first time I turned the device on , its actually stops after one hour.

Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2020

Hi Keith_L,

My speaker has frozen again - several times in the last weeks.

27 December 12h27:

It was playing a Spotify playlist (started with the preset button 1) when it suddenly stopped playing. The music was stopped but the display of the speaker still shows the picture of this song. The LED status bar didn't show anything. So it looked like it should look when it is normally playing music. Photo 1Photo 1

I tried to start the music again by pressing some of the buttons. That didn't solve the issue.

Then I'v made a movie of what happens when I press the buttons. See movie

Button 1 is a Spotify preset.

Button 6 is a TuneIn radio station.

When I press button 1 , the lightbar is pulsing white 8 times and then it pulse 4 times amber while displaying "Dat werkt niet. Probeer het opnieuw." (My speaker is setup for Dutch - English translation : That does not work. Try again.)

When I press button 6 , the light bar pulse white 1 time only. And nothing else.

See video on https://youtu.be/zwp-IoEmnmM

After a reset (disconnect the power for a minute or 2) the speaker was working correct.

27 december 16h14

A few hours later I had a new issue. See video https://youtu.be/TjynUU2nS0M

Spotify is not working anymore (presets 1 en 3) but on the other hand, TuneIn was still working fine (Presets 4, 5 en 6).

Again, after a reset of the Bose Speaker, the problem was “solved”.

01 januari 10h39

Again an issue. Nor Spotify or TuneIn is working. See video https://youtu.be/ragAgz9eVFk

When I try to start Spotify , the status led is blinking 4 time amber but nothing happens.

When I check the Bose app on my phone, the speaker is offline.

Screenshot Bose App offlineScreenshot Bose App offline

I hope you can help us finding a solution for this.

Hey Tom_F_Be, 

A flashing white LED on the bar could mean that it's lost Wi-Fi connection, which would also cause music to stop. Four amber LED flashes means "Source error: See Bose Music app for info", may also be networking related. Could I please ask about your home's network setup

• Do you use extenders?
  • What's the set up of your network?
  • Have you recently changed WiFi providers?
  • How many devices are on your network?
  • Is it a dual band router?
  • Have you tried rebooting your router?
  • Do any other devices have issues?

I look forward to your reply. 

Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2020

Hey,

Hereby some feedback.

A flashing white LED on the bar could mean that it's lost Wi-Fi connection, which would also cause music to stop. --> This doesn’t explain why the TuneIn app works fine but the Spotify app doesn’t work. (Issue of 27 dec @ 16h14).

Today I had the same issue. It was not possible to start Spotify via the preset buttons. Starting TuneIn via the presets was working well (so the wifi connection must be OK). And I was able to start Spotify on my smartphone (using the same wifi network) and then select the speaker as playing device (via the same wifi).

So, for me,  this is not a wifi issue. It is the firmware of the speaker that has a lot of bugs! That is why I’m asking if there is some kind of logfile in the speaker that could explain the root cause of the issue.

Four amber LED flashes means "Source error: See Bose Music app for info"-->At this point, all I can see in the Bose app is that the speaker is offline, may also be networking related.

Could I please ask about your home's network setup

• Do you use extenders?                                   No
  • What's the set up of your network?                 What do you mean with this question?
  • Have you recently changed WiFi providers?   No
  • How many devices are on your network?       3 smartphones, 2 laptops, 1 smart TV and 1 Bose Speaker.
  • Is it a dual band router?                                  Yes. 
  • Have you tried rebooting your router?            Yes
  • Do any other devices have issues?                No

Kind rgards,

Tom