Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

Bose Home Speaker 500 plus Echo

Hi, I have one Bose Home 300 speaker, one Home 500 plus an Echo Dot playing through my old amp and speakers.  It seems I can't group the 500 and the Echo with the Bose app.  I can group them with the Alexa app but then I only get music through the Bose 500.  

Firstly, is there a plan to allow grouping of non-Bose Alexa products in the Bose app and if so what's the timing?

Secondly, I wondered if replacing the Echo with the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter would avoid this problem.  Can this be grouped with the Home 500?

This is all a little bit frustrating, hopefully there's a solution out there.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 plus Echo

Hi Jseabrook,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help with this.

Currently, it is not possible to set up a multi-room music group with the Home Speakers and an Echo device. We don't have any information to share at this time on plans for future updates to the speakers. I will, however, pass on your feedback that this is a feature you would be interested in to our design team, so we can see if it may be something we are already working on, or could be added going forward.

It would not be possible to use a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter for this, as the Wireless Link Adapter uses the SoundTouch app, rather than the Bose Music app you are currently using.

Depending on the location of the devices, you may be able to use SimpleSync to connect one of your Home Speakers to the Echo via Bluetooth. You can find more information on this and how to set that up HERE.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I try the SimpleSync thing in the Bose app, it appears to work initially. But if I ask either device to play something else then it breaks the group.  Each speaker does it's own thing and the group disappears from the Bose app.  Is this expected behaviour?

If you can get feedback from the development team on whether a solution is in their plan and timing thereof that would be much appreciated.

Highlighted

Hi jseabrook,

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming this information. 

If you use just the Home Speaker 300 and the Home Speaker 500 as a group and then initiate playback through Alexa, do the speakers remain grouped?

SimpleSync is aimed for just one Smart Home speaker and one Bluetooth device, but I'd be happy to continue looking into this with you to see if we can find a resolution.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

Hi,

So, I did the test you suggested. I grouped the Home Speaker 300 and the Home Speaker 500 via the Bose app and then initiate playback through Alexa (on Bose). The speakers remain grouped.

I ended that group and I tried again to Group the 500 and the Echo Dot (as a Bluetooth device because that's all the Bose app lets you do).  As before it works initially but after a few commands the group breaks.  It was better than the first time I tried reported above where the second command always broke the group.  This time it was only after a few song requests the group broke - initially obvious as they played different music and shortly after the app would also show the group as ended.

So, I would say it just about works but is not robust.  It would be much better if the Bose app just supported the main non-Bose devices properly.  Did you get a response from the development team re whether this will happen and if so when?

Highlighted

Hi jseabrook,

Thank you for trying that and letting us know.

Something that would be worth testing for this would be muting the microphone on your Echo Dot, while the speakers are grouped. Just in case there is some confusion as to which speaker is supposed to be responding to your song requests. 

We don't have any information to share at this time about future updates to the speakers. When we do we will be sure to update the community.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

I don't think it's a mic issue as they are quite far apart and anyway have been given different names - the 500 responds to "Alexa" and the Dot responds to "Echo".

Highlighted

Hi jseabrook.

I didn't think it should be a mic issue, but it was something that could have had an effect.

As you mention the group breaks after a few commands, would the group stay stable if you were to leave a playlist running? Or would it also break the group after a certain amount of time?

Because the connection to the Echo Dot will be via Bluetooth, it is also worth checking for any possible sources of wireless interference near or between the Home Speaker and the Echo. What other wireless devices are in the area? And roughly how far from the Home Speaker is the Echo?

Kind Regards,

Keith L