Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2020

Bose Home Speaker 500 setup without traditional WIFI

Hello,
I am currently on a college campus, and trying to set up my Bose speaker (the only thing I want to do is change the equalizer, no "smart" functionality). I'm trying to figure out a way to connect my phone to the speaker, even temporarily, just to change the eq to something less bass-heavy (don't wanna disturb my neighbors). So, to get my phone to connect to the speaker, I've tried many things:

1. Connect the speaker to the IOT network we have on campus - this worked to connect the speaker to a network, but since it's an IOT network, phones are not allowed, and so I was unable to connect from the app.

2. Run a "Mobile Hotspot" from my PC that would share the ethernet connection: both devices connected, but there was no communication between them, even after configuring the sharing settings as liberally as possible.

3. Run a mobile hotspot from my phone - did not work, when I configured the WIFI in the app, it would give an error when trying to connect.

I'm just looking for a way to change the equalizer, so all that I need is just a temporary solution to pair the speaker and the app. If anyone has any workarounds they could suggest, I'd be much obliged. Thank you.

(also, this could also be a feature request to enable pairing of the home speaker to the app with bluetooth, so using network for smart capabilities but bluetooth for setup, or a way to configure the speaker by connecting to its personal WIFI network and typing in the IP address in a browser)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 setup without traditional WIFI

Author Accepted Answer selected by treblechet

Hello Treblechet, 

Thanks for posting in the forums. Just to let you know, enterprise networks are not supported - which is what the campus will be using. 

Personal hotspots from phones are not reliable connections, and also not traditionally supported by the speaker. Your own experience will vary in success levels. Do you have a secondary phone or tablet? If so, we could attempt to use your mobile phone, connected to mobile data only, as a hotspot. We can attempt a setup on the second device, either via the traditional app method, or via an alternative setup method, and then make the adjustments through the app. 

Another option is you could temporarily relocate the speaker to somewhere with WiFi. As the settings for audio changes, including increasing/decreasing the bass should be retained if the speaker is disconnected from power, and reconnected back again. 

Finally, we could try finding the speaker's MAC address. If you contact your campus tech support, they may be able to use this to help enable connection for the speaker on their network. Would it be possible for your campus support to assist you with this? If so, we'd be happy to guide you through how to access this information from the Home Speaker 500.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by treblechet

Hello Treblechet, 

Thanks for posting in the forums. Just to let you know, enterprise networks are not supported - which is what the campus will be using. 

Personal hotspots from phones are not reliable connections, and also not traditionally supported by the speaker. Your own experience will vary in success levels. Do you have a secondary phone or tablet? If so, we could attempt to use your mobile phone, connected to mobile data only, as a hotspot. We can attempt a setup on the second device, either via the traditional app method, or via an alternative setup method, and then make the adjustments through the app. 

Another option is you could temporarily relocate the speaker to somewhere with WiFi. As the settings for audio changes, including increasing/decreasing the bass should be retained if the speaker is disconnected from power, and reconnected back again. 

Finally, we could try finding the speaker's MAC address. If you contact your campus tech support, they may be able to use this to help enable connection for the speaker on their network. Would it be possible for your campus support to assist you with this? If so, we'd be happy to guide you through how to access this information from the Home Speaker 500.

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2020

Thanks for the reply, I did not know that I would not get a notification for any responses, so I apologize for the lack of response. There is an IOT network here, where the MAC address must be given to whitelist the device on the network, and so I managed to get it working in a roundabout way. What I did was create a hotspot on my phone, downloaded the app on an iPad, and set up the speaker on that network. After changing the settings, I put the speaker into WiFi pairing mode, and changed the used network back to the IOT network.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update on this treblechet!

I'm glad to hear you managed to get this sorted! Thank you as well for letting us know how you managed this, as I'm sure other users in the community will find this helpful as well. 

Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future!