Bose Home Speaker + Soundbar 500 Alexa Routines?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Bose Home Speaker + Soundbar 500 Alexa Routines?

Hi there!

I'm located in Canada and I can't seem to set up routines for Alexa in the Alexa app using my Home Speaker or my Soundbar 500. Is this something that is supported for these devices? When I go to set up a routine in the Alexa app, it tells me that the routine can't be saved because I haven't selected a device. When I go to select a device, it doesn't show either of my devices in the menu. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

10 REPLIES

Re: Bose Home Speaker + Soundbar 500 Alexa Routines?

Hi katmariemusic

Thanks for writing in!

The Alexa routines are currently not supported with the Bose Music app and speakers.  There are some features that are only supported by the Alexa devices themselves like routines, changing Alexa wake word, etc.  With Alexa constantly changing and evolving, I'll be sure to let the development team know these are features our customer's are looking for.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Animated Arbiter

Hi @Tony_A,

Whilst it was true at the time that the smart speakers were announced that only Amazon Alexa devices could be supported with routines, @DanEllisUK had previously pointed out in another thread that Alexa routines were opened up to third party devices back in August.  More info here...  https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/a1470f4c-8aaf-4d12-b3bc-5cf38820ff82/alexa-it-s-bedtim...

Routines would be a fantastic addition as I would prefer for all of my Alexa devices to be Bose rather than having to mix and match with Amazon Echo.

Audible Advocate

Thanks @tippex!

This is a hopeful development! Who wouldn't want all their Alexa devices to be Bose? The sound is simply superior!

Silent Starter

Alexa reminders and routines

Bought Soundbar 700 because Alexa was built in.  Salesman assured us it could replace the Echo device in our living room. Alexa on the soundbar cannot perform reminders or do routines without saying the feature isn’t supported. Is my only option to have a second Alexa device in the same room with the soundbar so we can have “full” Alexa function?  What is the point of having Alexa built into the soundbar then? Love the soundbar sound, but the Alexa function needs improvement.

Strident Supporter

Re: Alexa reminders and routines

Amazon have added the ability for 3rd party devices to support Alexa Routines, this was announced 29th August.

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/a1470f4c-8aaf-4d12-b3bc-5cf38820ff82/alexa-it-s-bedtim...

So we are simply waiting for Bose to implement the new InteractionModel interface...

Audible Advocate

Has this changed? It's a lot of money to spend on an Alexa powered device to work out when you go to use it out its not fully integrated.

Animated Arbiter

No change in the latest firmware update.  Routines still not posible at present.

Audible Advocate

Thanks tippex.

Bose - I'm taking this speaker back, appreciate it might not be your fault but this is massively misleading.

Audible Advocate

Any updates on Alexa routines being supported on the Soundbar 500? We just purchased this past weekend and we're not aware Bose had a "limited capability" version of Alexa. This is extremely disappointing