Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Bose Music App

My Bose Music App keeps losing my Bose Soundbar 500. Although the soundbar continues to play TV sound I can't connect to the soundbar through the App.  This also results in Alexa not working. The fix has alway been to reset the soundbar.  The app loses connection with he soundbar after about 30 minutes on average but sometimes almost immediately after resetting. 

Firm ware is 7.0.10, the app was freshly downloaded from App Store version 3.16.

WiFi signal is -64db

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Bose Music App

Author Accepted Answer selected by subrunner7

Jessie_O, Hector_B Thanks for your responses and instructions. Yesterday I was able to establish a WiFi connection.  It's been holding for almost 24 hours and still shows up on the Bose Music app.  I'm hoping this will resolve the problem.  Seems the splitting of the 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi networks as well as having my iPhone forget the 2.4Ghz network seems to have resulted in a stable configuration.  I'll update you next week if it holds.

If it doesn't I'll attempt the ethernet setup you described.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Bose Music App

Hello subrunner7, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community today! Sorry to hear this, I would love to assist you further. 

Firstly, can you please confirm that your device and Soundbar are both on the same Wi-Fi network? If you have a dual-band router, please ensure that both are on the same band (E.G 2.4GHz or 5GHz) 

I would also recommend ensuring that you don't have any kind of Wi-Fi assist enabled inside your settings, as this can cause the signal to jump between Wi-Fi and mobile data. Can you please also delete and reinstall the Bose Music app to start a fresh connection with the system. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Yes I confirmed both were on same WiFi network at same frequency and there are no WiFi extenders. Deleted and reinstalled Bose music app. 
app did not detect Soundbar. I reset Soundbar. App remained connected for about an hour. Was able to turn on TV with Alexa   Had to use remote to get sound through Bose. App then lost connection to Bose. Sound still coming from Bose but app lost its connection 

Highlighted

Thank you for making me aware of this @subrunner7, sorry that these steps did not resolve this for you. 

Let's attempt to perform a reset on the internet router by disconnecting the power from the router for 30 seconds, then wait for it to start up and connect the device back to the router. 

We should also disable any "wireless isolation mode", "wireless AP mode" or "access point mode" setting on the router. 

Settings such as these can prevent communications between devices within the home network. In order for the app, a music server on another computer, and systems to operate together this setting will need to be turned off.

I would also recommend that you have the following router settings: 

• UPnP: Enable
  • Multicast: Enable
  • IGMP: Enable
  • Wireless Isolation: Disable
  • IGMP Proxy: Disable
  • IGMP Snooping: Disable
  • Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode: Mixed or B/G/N
  • Stealth mode: Disable
  • MAC Filtering/Access Control: Disable, or add the Bose system MAC address to allowed devices list
  • WPS: Disable
  • WAN IP Blocking: Disable

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Bose Music App

Thank you for sticking with me on this issue.

I did a reset of my router by unplugging for about a minute. When it restarted I attempted to find my Bose Soundbar via the Bose music app. It indicate it was not available. I refreshed the app to see if it could find the Bose but it remained unavailable.

All my searches for wireless isolation mode, wireless AP mode and access point mode for an xfinity router/modem pointing toward the xfinity WiFI  public hotspot used for guests within/around my home.  I disabled it. The other items are as indicated:

• UPnP: Enabled
  • Multicast: Enabled
  • IGMP: (wasn't able to find a router function to verify Enabled)
  • Wireless Isolation: is Disabled
  • IGMP Proxy: wasn't able to find a router function to verify Disabled
  • IGMP Snooping: wasn't able to find a router function to verify Disabled
  • Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode: verified G/N
  • Stealth mode: Disabled SSID is being broadcast
  • MAC Filtering/Access Control: is Disabled
  • WPS: is Disabled
  • WAN IP Blocking: is Disabled

After establishing this router configuration I pulled power from Bose for 1 minute and plugged it back in. The App found the Bose and all of the app functions were working.  I operated the television and accessed Apple TV and television apps without issues. Sound from TV came out of the Bose.

About 1 hour after turning off the TV with it's remote (Samsung Q90) I checked the app and found it had lost connection to the Bose.

The Bose standby timer was set to never. CEC is set to alternative.  

This is extremely frustrating for such a well known product to be so cumbersome and unreliable .

My router is provided by xfinity: Arris Model TG1682G

Your help continues to be appreciated!

Highlighted

Thank you for the detailed reply @subrunner7 

Sorry to hear that the issue was only resolved for an hour before returning. 

Do you have any other devices you can attempt to download the Bose Music app onto and then testing the same setup? 

Can you please confirm if you have split the Wi-Fi bands to different networks? For example, they are two completely different Wi-Fi networks you can connect too. I would also like to know how close the Soundbar and device are to your internet router? 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

The Bose is 15 feet from the router that is in another room separated by a wall (uninsulated wall board).

I have not separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz into two separate wifi networks. Is that what you are asking?

I'm getting an old iPad tomorrow to attempt using it.

I tried to do a full setup again. Reset WiFI using the Bose remote.  The system worked for about 24 hours then the app lost its connection to the Bose.

Is there a setup that I can try with Ethernet instead of WiFi? I tried setting up the Bose with an ethernet connection but the app failed to discover the Bose during setup. 

I also tried connecting the ethernet cable after the WiFi setup was complete and working but the app lost the Bose shortly after connecting ethernet. I believe that is a known issue.

Highlighted

Hi Subrunner7,

Thank you for the extra information.

We would recommend splitting the two bands into two separate networks if you are having this issue.

When the bands are combined under one name, the router will decide which band each device is on, and can switch them between bands at any time. If you have the bands as separate networks, this puts the control over which band is being used in your control and you can make sure the soundbar and phone are on the same band and stay on the same band.

You can use an ethernet cable to connect to the soundbar to the internet as well. If you do so, I would still recommend separating the bands on your router to ensure the most stable connection between the soundbar and the app.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

I've split the wiFi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally was able to reset the Soundbar and also reset the universal remote so that I could select a WiFi frequency.  I selected the 5Ghz for the Bose Soundbar and I also connected my iPhone and iPad to the same 5Ghz Wifi.  The connection held for about 3 hours before the app indicated the connection was lost.  The signal was -64Db. When the signal was lost both the iPhone and iPad were still connected to the 5Ghz WiFi and operating normally.

If you or anyone could please instruct me on how to connect the Bose via ethernet I would greatly appreciate it.  I have ethernet available in the room and frankly would prefer to resolve the issue even if it means using ethernet.  

I have attempted to connect to ethernet while the Bose was connected to the Wifi but it resets in the loss of connection and the Bose Music App can't find the Soundbar.

Highlighted

Thank you for all this information, @subrunner7. This is super helpful. 

To connect your system to ethernet you will need to factory reset your system, remove your system from the Bose Music app and then set it up again. You can reset it by pressing and holding the Power and Skip forward buttons for five seconds on the remote. You can remove the system by going to the 'My Bose' screen and selecting the icon in the top right and scrolling down to 'Manage Devices'> 'Edit' > 'Delete'. 

Once complete, connect the ethernet cable to the back of the system and follow the on-screen instruction in the application. 

Let me know how it goes!