Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2020

Bose Music app

Hey,

as first: my English isn’t that good. So, sorry if I say things wrong.

At the begin of 2020 we’ve changed from Sonos to Bose. We now have a soundbar 700 with bass module, home speaker 500, and a portable home speaker. To control the speakers, we need to use the (iOS & Android) Bose Music app. We’ve used Sonos for years and their app has a lot of features and is very stable. But when we had to use the Bose Music app we where so unsatisfied that we almost wanna switch back to Sonos. We are missing a lot of things in the app. Like support for more music services (YouTube Music, SoundCloud for example), a queue, a better search engine, edit more settings on speakers like bass or something like an equalizer, and if the speakers are in a group, edit settings per speaker and some other handy features.

If Bose isn’t planning to make their app better i’m really thinking about switching back to Sonos or something like that. Bose is a very very good player at quality of their speakers but when we talk about software and stability I’m not a satisfied user.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 4, 2020

Re: Bose Music app

I think the Bose Music app is pretty weak as well. For some services it's okay like Amazon music I think the interface in the Bose Music app is actually better than in Amazon music app itself. However that is more a knock on Amazon music terrible app than a support of Bose. Other services like Deezer and Pandora are very limited in Bose Music app. Pandora will only let you play stations even if you have premium. Deezer overall has limited interface in Bose Music app. The daily artist Discovery playlists are not available on the main screen you literally have to go into deezer app and save them as a new playlist to find them in bose music. The recommended Deezer Picks are terrible and I don't see any correlation with the recommendations I get on deezer app itself. IHeart radio is also limited in Bose Music app. It does not allow you to play podcast which is one of the main thing IHeart promotes with their service. For podcast you are forced to use Tunein which is decent but doesn't have as much as IHeart or other more dedicated services. Also as you say there is not YouTubeMusic available even though you can use Google assistant. This seems very confusing, tidal is missing as well.

The only solution to get around using the Bose Music app is apple airplay. At least then you could stream from your preferred music app in your phone. However Chromecast is not compatible leaving Android users in the dust and forced to use bose music app. The only other option I've seen is if you have Spotify or Amazon Music you could use their connect features to cast direct to the Bose speaker. This works great with Spotify but is sometimes an issue on Amazon, though I blame that instability more on Amazon than Bose, as their Alexa cast thing is kind of unreliable sometimes.