caosmar
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Bose Portable Home Speaker - Alexa: Whisper mode issue

Hi there,

The Alexa's whisper mode does not work for the Bose Portable Home Speaker, it is actually enabled but it does not work.

Any ideas?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Sam_F

Re: Bose Portable Home Speaker - Alexa: Whisper mode issue

Hey @caosmar,

Whisper mode for Alexa is a feature exclusive to Amazon Alexa devices and therefore is not a feature supported by Bose devices, including the Portable Home Speaker.

However, the Portable Home Speaker has a custom-designed microphone array for clear voice pickup, so the speaker can always hear you, even when music is playing loud! If you have any other queries regarding your speaker please let me know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
caosmar
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Re: Bose Portable Home Speaker - Alexa: Whisper mode issue

Many thx @Sam_F , it is sad to read this, although Sonos is actually compatible with this feature, do you know that?

When u have babies, it is really appreciated to do not wake up them with an Alexa loud response.

From the beginning, Sonos has achieved a more accomplish integration with Alexa/Google, as I said in some old post, you can't just live off the history and fame of a top brand like Bose, the competition is gaining ground.

ICoachSkydiving
Participant
Registered since

Feb 20, 2021

Workaround for Whisper Mode not working on Bose Speaker 300

I have found a workaround for the faulty "Whisper Mode" on the Bose 300 Alexa speaker.

1. First say or whisper "Alexa, Set the volume level to One." One being 1 out of 100 not 1 out of 10 like on a real ECHO.

2. Ask your question, then return the volume to a higher setting after nap time is over. 

When you say "Alexa, enable whisper mode." Alexa responds "OKAY, I'VE TURNED ON WHISPERED RESPONSES."  (responding with a voice as loud as a child screaming for help.)

If you want whisper mode to work then you need to get an Amazon Echo and connect it thru Bluetooth to the Bose 300, which would defeat the purpose of buying a smart speaker in the first place.