Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strevis
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

Bose Portable Home Speaker asking for AirPlay code on phone

I have a new Bose Portable Home Speaker and I'm having a problem getting my iPhone to connect to it via AirPlay.  I already found a similar post (link below) and tried all of the troubleshooting there.  When I try to connect the proper way, my phone shows a pop-up for AirPlay Code stating "Enter the onscreen code for Bose speaker."  There is no code on the speaker to comply with this.  Per the article below, I think it is because of some security I have on my phone (I do have MDM installed on my personal phone for work purposes).  When I try using AirPlay on an iPad, without MDM, it works fine.  But when I try AirPlay on my iPhone (with MDM) I get that request for a code.  Thoughts on how to get around this barrier?

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Bose-Home-Speaker-300-and-Apple-AirPlay/td-p/215811

I've looked at the Apple Home settings (per the thread noted) and that all looks fine.  It is not asking for or requiring a code.  I've also tried 0000 and 1234 as codes, which do not work.  I'm stumped and wonder if my MDM is the culprit (and if there even is a fix).  Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
strevis
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

Re: Bose Portable Home Speaker asking for AirPlay code on phone

Author Accepted Answer selected by strevis

Thanks @Thib38 and @Sam_F - I was able to confirm that my company's MDM is in fact set up to require an AirPlay code.  Apparently the MDM policy is "AirPlay outgoing requests pairing password enforced."  The source of the problem using AirPlay with my speaker has been confirmed.  Now I just need to see if I can help influence having my employer change that setting (I don't see why this is a critical MDM setting?).  I'll also have to leverage other iPhone-to-Bose connection options for now with my new Bose PHS.  Thanks again for your replies/input.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sam_F

Hey @strevis,

I hope you've been able to experience the great sound of your Home Speaker 500! In regards to the AirPlay issue you're having - it does seem quite unusual that you've been asked for a code.

Airplay will usually be a seamless connection without any code/password involved. Since you've managed to connect with the issue on the devices that do not use MDM, I would assume this is the barrier causing you difficulties. 

I'm not sure if there is a clear way of working around MDM as you have it installed for work reasons. Have you ever come across this Apple page HERE? This gives some information on the restrictions in place.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Thib38
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Bose SoundTouch 30 III.

The only advice that Apple gave me is to ask the administrator of the MDM to delete this restriction.

I have no way to use Airplay with my iPhone now, so maybe there is a way on your side to display the code on your devices on a later version ?

Thank you,

Thibaut

strevis
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by strevis

Thanks @Thib38 and @Sam_F - I was able to confirm that my company's MDM is in fact set up to require an AirPlay code.  Apparently the MDM policy is "AirPlay outgoing requests pairing password enforced."  The source of the problem using AirPlay with my speaker has been confirmed.  Now I just need to see if I can help influence having my employer change that setting (I don't see why this is a critical MDM setting?).  I'll also have to leverage other iPhone-to-Bose connection options for now with my new Bose PHS.  Thanks again for your replies/input.

View solution in original post

Lewiscl
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2021

None of the solutions work. I don’t have MDM on my phone. So, now what?

aeberts
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2021

Bose Portable Home Speaker asking for AirPlay code on iPhone

I had the same issue with using Airplay with a Yamaha A3080 receiver. I have MDM on my iPhone in order to receive worked email. The Yamaha A3080 allowed me to web browse into the receiver where I could then manually set a security code. Once I did and then enter the code once prompted by Airplay, it came up. Apparently, the Bose Portable Home Speaker doesn't allow you to browse to the IP address assigned by my home network in order to setup a code. If it could then this would probably solve the problem. The speaker is a bit disappointing, after the MDM issue, the speaker announces that power is lost and I need to plug into another source. I switched to an Apple 20W power supply and it's now 100% charged. Must be an issue with the Bose PS that shipped with the unit. Another issue is that it drops WiFi. I have a WiFi 6 Access Point about 20 feet away so it should be able to get a very good signal but there is no way of telling the signal strength using the Bose Music App. Well it at least shows you the battery charge. And it does allow you to update the unit over WiFi. I was going to buy a second one but I don't think I will now. Sound is an important buying factory but connectivity is just as equal. Too many limitations. I don't expect Bose to support MDM. Companies usually try and keep COGS at a minimum. I would imagine that it doesn't have the firmware to support any change.