Highlighted
ncarlson
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Bose Smart Speaker system Group Issues

I recently purchased the Bose 300, 500, and portable smart speakers. When I play music (either via Bluetooth or Music Service) on individual speakers, it sounds fine. However, when I group them, after a while the music tends to turn off/on on the secondary speakers. It's almost like they are trying to "listen" for a sec and then the music starts up again. It is very annoying that I purchased this system to listen to music throughout my house and then it "skips" all the time. 

Am I alone in this issue? I've checked my network, servers, internet....everything is working correctly and fast. The only issue I've had is the constant music skips. 

Can someone help me? The app doesn't help in determining the issue or even fixing it.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bose Smart Speaker system Group Issues

Hi Ncarlson, 

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with the music skipping, I'll see what I can do to help. 

Do you still experience the same issue when you group two of the speakers instead of 3?

I would recommend resetting your speakers and router by unplugging and waiting for 30 seconds before plugging it back in. 

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

ncarlson
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

So, I did reset the speakers and router(s) to no avail. The speakers still exhibit a "pause" while playing music. To hopefully understand what is going on, I'll try to give you as much background as possible and what I've tried so far. Hope this email isn't too long. Anywho, here we go:
System:
Home: 4-story townhome
Bose
- 500 Smart on 1st floor....Firmware 5.0.11-8128+2af4a93, Frequency 2.437 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-44 dBm)
- Portable Smart on 2nd Floor......,Firmware 2.0.10-1835+5c98c17, Frequency 5.745 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-58 dBm) 
- 300 Smart on 3rd Floor.....Firmware 2.0.8-1076+39bd067, Frequency 5.745 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-16 dBm). 
- Google Assistant and Sharing enabled on each device
Internet: Xfinity
Router: Netgear Nighthawk (supports both 2.4G and 5G) with Google Wifi Mesh (3 nodes). One node in basement, one on 2nd, one on 3rd. I turned the Netgear network OFF and using the Google Wifi Network, so that I didn't have two networks
Test Results of System:
- Avg download speed: 261 Mbps (upload 10 Mbps)
- Mesh connection points are all "great"
- When testing connected devices, the 500 had 68 Mbps, Portable had 281 Mbps, and 300 had 324 Mbps. I have a total of 6 devices on-line when testing. Others include PC, Phone, and Roku

So, I've tried playing music using different services....Bluetooth through my PC, Bluetooth through iPod, AirPlay via iTunes on PC, and directly from Spotify on Bose Music App. When I play on just one speaker, it is fine. However, when I group speakers, it works for 10-15 minutes but then secondary speakers start to pause (dead sound) sporadically for 2 to 4 seconds (maybe every 3 minutes, it is not consistent). The pause is not the actual music, but volume turns down/off  on one speaker (as the primary speaker continues playing, and sometimes the other speaker plays as well). I've turned off the mic on each of the speakers to see if that is interferring and causing the pause, but it continued. None of the lights on the Bose speaker light up when they experience a "pause". 

I've tried switching primary speakers (moved Bluetooth to 3rd floor and had 300 floor as primary), but then the 500 and Portable speakers start to pause. Obviously there is some sort of connectivity issue going on, but I don't know what is is or causing it. All my internet network and mesh system are working correctly (and fast), I have no issues with any other device, and everything works if only one speaker is playing. 

The only thing I can think of is that when I checked the Frequency in the Technical Info for each speaker in the Music App, the 500 was on 2.4 while the other two are on 5GHz. Does that matter? What if the device that I'm playing music from (phone, PC) is on a different frequency? The Google Wifi has a band steering feature that automatically chooses the band that gives the best Wifi for a device. So, it changes all the time for a device and you can't manually connect the band that you want (e.g., you walk around with your phone and it could change from 2.4 to 5 to 2.4 while you go into different areas of your house). 

Sincerely,
Nate
ncarlson
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Hi Jessie,

So, I did reset the speakers and router(s) to no avail. The speakers still exhibit a "pause" while playing music. To hopefully understand what is going on, I'll try to give you as much background as possible and what I've tried so far. Hope this email isn't too long. Anywho, here we go:
System:
Home: 4-story townhome
Bose
- 500 Smart on 1st floor....Firmware 5.0.11-8128+2af4a93, Frequency 2.437 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-44 dBm)
- Portable Smart on 2nd Floor......,Firmware 2.0.10-1835+5c98c17, Frequency 5.745 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-58 dBm) 
- 300 Smart on 3rd Floor.....Firmware 2.0.8-1076+39bd067, Frequency 5.745 GHz, Wifi Strength - Great (-16 dBm). 
- Google Assistant and Sharing enabled on each device
Internet: Xfinity
Router: Netgear Nighthawk (supports both 2.4G and 5G) with Google Wifi Mesh (3 nodes). One node in basement, one on 2nd, one on 3rd. I turned the Netgear network OFF and using the Google Wifi Network, so that I didn't have two networks
Test Results of System:
- Avg download speed: 261 Mbps (upload 10 Mbps)
- Mesh connection points are all "great"
- When testing connected devices, the 500 had 68 Mbps, Portable had 281 Mbps, and 300 had 324 Mbps. I have a total of 6 devices on-line when testing. Others include PC, Phone, and Roku

So, I've tried playing music using different services....Bluetooth through my PC, Bluetooth through iPod, AirPlay via iTunes on PC, and directly from Spotify on Bose Music App. When I play on just one speaker, it is fine. However, when I group speakers, it works for 10-15 minutes but then secondary speakers start to pause (dead sound) sporadically for 2 to 4 seconds (maybe every 3 minutes, it is not consistent). The pause is not the actual music, but volume turns down/off  on one speaker (as the primary speaker continues playing, and sometimes the other speaker plays as well). I've turned off the mic on each of the speakers to see if that is interferring and causing the pause, but it continued. None of the lights on the Bose speaker light up when they experience a "pause". 

I've tried switching primary speakers (moved Bluetooth to 3rd floor and had 300 floor as primary), but then the 500 and Portable speakers start to pause. Obviously there is some sort of connectivity issue going on, but I don't know what is is or causing it. All my internet network and mesh system are working correctly (and fast), I have no issues with any other device, and everything works if only one speaker is playing. 

The only thing I can think of is that when I checked the Frequency in the Technical Info for each speaker in the Music App, the 500 was on 2.4 while the other two are on 5GHz. Does that matter? What if the device that I'm playing music from (phone, PC) is on a different frequency? The Google Wifi has a band steering feature that automatically chooses the band that gives the best Wifi for a device. So, it changes all the time for a device and you can't manually connect the band that you want (e.g., you walk around with your phone and it could change from 2.4 to 5 to 2.4 while you go into different areas of your house).