Bose Soundbar 700 - Alexa stops responding and power needs disconnecting to recover

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

Bose Soundbar 700 - Alexa stops responding and power needs disconnecting to recover

Alexa stopped responding.  The soundbar was still playing audio from the TV, the microphone-off button continued to operate.  The remote could turn the Soundbar off and on, but Alexa would still not respond, and the light bar remained unlit.   A full power off reset brought Alexa alive again.

I had earlier downloaded the logs from the built in web server at http://..../logread - whether that was relevant or not I don’t know, but a little concerning to be pulling the power on the second evening.

82 REPLIES
Vocal Volunteer

Re: Second evening owning a Bose Soundbar 700 and it needed a reboot already

Evening 3, and Alexa stopped reponding again.  Needed a full power off reset to recover.

Quiet Contributor

Same issue here...

In the first 2 or 3 days it was working fine. Since that, the soundbar needs to be disconnected from the power to use alexa again.

My problems with the soundbare 700 are:

- Alexa is not working/crashes every day.. (like you describet it)

- Sometimes after some hours the soundbar is going of and after some seconds i can hear realy loud scratching noises.. Like when you are pluging a headphonejack in to a phone, while the amplifier is turned on... realy bad....

- Sometimes the soundbar is haning completely. if i mute it, its sometimes not possible to reactivate the sound... in that case the soundbar needs also a powerdisconnect...

This Firmware looks like a beta firmware which should not be available for public... I think they did that because they wand to release it before christmas. Not cool Bose!

Hi DanEllisUK

Thanks for posting in the Community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be glad to assist!

I'd like to reach out to you via PM to gather a bit more information regarding the Alexa issues.  

@DanEllisUK and HamBam

I wanted to confirm, how is the soundbar connected to the network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet)?

Has a reset on the router or any access points been completed?  

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Quiet Contributor

Im using the soundbar in an professional environment. Its connected with LAN. 

I created a firewallrule for the soundbar. The soundbar can use every protocoll and port to communicate with the internet.

I didnt see any blocked packages. And of course i  will not reset the firewall... Smiley Wink

Vocal Volunteer

Hi Tony,

I have sent you the network details in a private message as requested.  Here is an update of issues since last night:-

Evening 3 - Accidently selected “Pair New Remote” in the IOS app, which caused the remote to lose connection.
It was not possible to re-pair the remote after this, even after powering off the both the remote and soundbar.
It was eventually fixed by resetting the remote using Volume down (-) and Left Arrow (<) as described in this post:-

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Bose-Soundbar-700-not-able-to-pair-remote-to-soundbar/m-p/1...

Morning of day 4 - we had the TV on in the background with the morning news and the sound randomly stopped.  I noticed the
soundbar light pulsing as it does when it boots, so it appears the soundbar crashed and rebooted.

Vocal Volunteer

Evening of day 5 - Alexa stopped reposionding again, so I have uploaded another set of log files.  Here is some more detail about the state:-

- Sound continues to work, the remote can switch the soundbar on and off

- The device does not respond to the Alexa wake word

- The microphone-mute button works, the red indicator turns on and off along with playing a bing/bong sound

- Pressing the action button causes the LED bar to glow with a small white dot whilst you are holding your finger on the button and it goes out when releasing the button (whereas normally pressing the action button makes the led light come on and stay on whilst it waits for voice input).

- Disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable has no affect

- Disconnecting and reconnecting the power, brings Alexa back online after the device has booted.

Vocal Volunteer

Evening 6 - Alexa stopped reponding again.  A pattern is emerging now as Alexa is working all through the day, and stopping about the same time each evening, possibly 24 hours?

Today I setup port mirroring on the switch that the Soundbar is connected to and had Wireshark tracing to 10MB files.  As soon as I noticed the issue, I tried a few attempts at saying Alexa and also pressed the action button a few times, then I stopped the Wireshark trace.

@Tony_AI have uploaded the last two wireshark files along with the Soundbar logs, to the same dropbox link you gave me.  Let me know if you need any Wireshark traces going back earlier in the day.

Usually I would be having a good look at the log files and network traces, but its a shame everything is encrypted nowadays, even the logs are encrypted with AES!

Hi DanEllisUK

Thank you for the update!  I'll attach the logs to the ticket and keep you posted on anything I hear from the development team.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Vocal Volunteer

Day 7 - Alexa stopped working again, but this time at around midday, so I rebooted the Soundbar.

In the evening we had the TV on, and the sound randomly stopped with a disconcerting crack/pop sound, so I rebooted it again.

Day 8 - We were watching a film, and again the sound suddenly stopped with the same crack/pop sound.  So I decided not to touch anything to see what happened, and whilst writing this the status light turned a solid red, and the remote does not respond.   So it needed an full power reset to recover.