DADM
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2019

Bose Soundbar 700 - Controlling Apple TV

Hello,

I recently bought a Soundbar 700, and was able to pair de universal remote without any issues. I later added the Apple TV to the remote through the music app; however, the center navigation (select button) button does not work on the Apple TV. Everything else works. Any suggestions?

Also, I am able to get the universal remote to turn on / off the soundbar and TV, but not to turn off the Apple TV. Is it possible that this is due to the fact that the Apple TV is located behind the soundbar?

Thanks in advance,

DADM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 - Controlling Apple TV

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

Hi DADM,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

Since the IR blasters are located on the front of the Soundbar 700, it would not be able to send the signal to your Apple TV. I would suggest moving it from behind the soundbar and to the side of it or above. 

The universal remote uses a Bluetooth signal to communicate to the soundbar; then from the soundbar, it sends out the IR signals to control other devices.

How have you been enjoying your Soundbar 700?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

Hi DADM,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

Since the IR blasters are located on the front of the Soundbar 700, it would not be able to send the signal to your Apple TV. I would suggest moving it from behind the soundbar and to the side of it or above. 

The universal remote uses a Bluetooth signal to communicate to the soundbar; then from the soundbar, it sends out the IR signals to control other devices.

How have you been enjoying your Soundbar 700?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
DADM
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2019

Thanks, Joel. I moved the Apple TV and used the advance setup option to get the remote to work properly. Now the one thing that I am struggling with is turning off the Apple TV. The remote turns off the soundbar and TV, just not the Apple TV. What can I do about this?

Loving the soundbar otherwise.

Best,

DADM

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello DADM,

Thanks for replying!

Glad to hear its working for you and how much you're loving your Soundbar 700.

After some further investigating for you, you cannot entirely turn off an Apple TV but instead put it into standby mode only.

From this article located HERE, I found these steps:

• Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation): With your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote,* press and hold the Home button for five seconds, then select Sleep. Or select Sleep Now in Settings.
  • Apple TV (3rd generation and earlier): With your Apple Remote (aluminum or white), press and hold Play/Pause for five seconds. Or select Sleep Now in Settings.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Raymond_S
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Hi, 

Question, did you ever get the universal remote to switch on the Apple TV4 after it was in sleep mode. Everything else works for me but just cannot wakeup the Apple TV4.

Thanks

Highlighted
walkerdb7
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

I have a similar issue...

I have a Samsung Q70 TV, Apple TV 4K 64 GB, and Bose 700 soundbar.

1. The setup process for the soundbar is different from pairing with the TV. With the TV, the Bose app says it will turn the TV off to validate the signal code works. With AppleTV, the apps says it will send a signal and nothing happens. I I tried the advanced setup too and it's uncleared if it paired? Does anyone know how to confirm if the pairing worked?
  2. However, when I have the remote set to TV, the signal worked for AppleTV with 2 short comings. 1. I cannot turn the AppleTV on. 2. I have to use the "Exit" button instead of the "Menu" to go back. When I hit the "Menu" button, it acts like the "Home" button. I use ATT Now TV service on AppleTV and it's extremely frustrating. Anyone know how to make it turn the AppleTV on? Is there way to reprogram what button does what?

For the connection, AppleTV is in HDMI 1 and the Bose is plugged into the HDMI ARC

Highlighted

Hi Walkerdb7,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help you with the pairing on your universal remote.

With the programming process, if the app accepts the model number in the advanced setup, it should have successfully set up the remote to control the Apple TV. If it is not responding when we are using the remote set to the Apple TV, then it may be that the IR signal is unable to reach your Apple TV.

As @Joel_D mentioned above the IR blaster on the Soundbar 700 is on the front left-hand side. We would need to have a direct line of sight from the soundbar to the Apple TV's IR receiver for this to work.

If we are unable to get a line of sight directly, you can get IR emitters that connect to the soundbar that will allow us to get this to work without moving any devices. If you contact your local support team, they may be able to organize a set for you.

With your remote controlling the Apple TV, when set to 'TV' it does sound like it would be doing this through CEC commands through your TV, rather than direct from the soundbar. 

If we can get the remote controlling the Apple TV directly we should be able to avoid these frustrations you currently have, as it will not have to share buttons with the TV functions.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
walkerdb7
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi Keith, I thought I had a clear line of sight, but if that is really the issue, then maybe I am underestimating how clear it needs to be.

Thanks for the reply. I just Googled IR Emitters and this seems like a reasonable solution and I think I could try that without contacting local support. The only thing I am confused on is the placement of the IR emmiters.

I plug the IR emitter in the back of the round bar and then place the other on like right next to the Apple TV? Any specific location by the Apple TV?

Highlighted

Hello walkerdb7,

That's quite alright, as I mentioned the emitter is on the front left of the soundbar, so it can be a little tricky to get a line of sight from there to the IR sensor on your device. 

The IR emitter would plug into the back of the soundbar, yes. The other end would want to be placed in a location where it can see the IR receiver for your Apple TV, where this is located depends on the model, so it will likely take a little bit of trial and error to find the best place for your setup.

I did find some people on Apple's support forums discussing IR emitter location HERE that may help with this.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
walkerdb7
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Is there any specific IR Emitter to buy that is guaranteed compatible with the 700?