Mike_1988
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

Bose Soundbar 700 - Dolby Atmos

Hi Team,

Firstly, absolutely love my Soundbar 700, a fantastic device that delivers brilliant sound. I also own the Base 700 Unit too (Fantastic customer service as my original just totally stopped working and then got sent a new one with minimal fuss.) Now in the process of thinking of adding the Surround 700 speakers to complete the set up.

However, before I do. One quick question. There is a lot of articles around the disappointment of this system not having Dolby Atmos support. I read in a previous post that it could be added at a later date with software and hardware updates (Cable and I presume some extra speakers being added)

Given the cost of buying this system, part of why I did, was because it's been as future proofed as possible. Seems strange that this hasn't been included, is there a reason (technical or not) behind it? Does Atmos really add much more?

What is the major difference of 5.1 v Atmos? Buy adding the final surround 700 speakers to the set up will I notice a big difference? I know you can't disclose future product announcements, but given this is nearly a £2k set up all in, just be good to understand a bit further. Could Atmos be added through an update at a later point (With additional speakers being released to support?) Or actually within a normal size home would you not really notice the difference v the full Soundbar family?

Thanks,

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 - Dolby Atmos

There is absolutely no reason to think Bose will ever add some sort of module and speakers to convert a Bose 700 sound bar from a 5.1 Dolby Digital system to a 7.1 Dolby Atmos system.  That is wishful thinking on the part of some customers who have already spent their money on a 5.1 system and realize they should have bought a Dolby Atmos system.

That said, anything is possible.  However, in my opinion, people should think about what they are buying and buy a system that does what they want NOW and not hope from some sort of enhancements in the future.  I have a Bose Soundtouch 5.1 system.  I wish I had bought a 3rd party receiver and speakers, Bose or otherwise.

DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 - Dolby Atmos

ATMOS support will never come to the current speakers. However, who really cares. Don’t worry about what home theatre buffs always write. Bose sounds good and atmos makes no difference at home. Leave it for when you go to the movie theatre.