Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2018

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

I have had the same issue as everyone here. I don't experience it very often since setting my CEC setting to alternating, but the issue is still here. I see it about once a week. However, someone in the forum from India posted something that has made getting the sound back painless. When sound goes out, just change the input to the HDMI Arc source until you see the Bose logo. Once you see it, change to the source you want to watch and the sound comes back. This has worked every time I have tried it. I even had to cut power to the room where the TV and soumdbar reside to do some wiring for another project. When I restored power my Samsung TV didn't show an external speaker to connect to. I changed the input for a second. Boom! The Bose started working right away. The problem with CEC still needs to be addressed, but this fix and the sound quality has changed my opinion about returning the Bose system
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

This fix worked, but I'm tired of having to keep doing this. What is the cause that keeps making this happen? I'm at the point of wanting my money back and going another route.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

Hello Bose Community, 

I have tried everything. It works for a day or so and reverts back and my wife calls saying that our "stupid" soundbar once again is not working. Then I must set aside an hour to walk through all of the steps, try to teach her how to do it sometimes over the phone. It's bordering hostage negotiation just to get this thing to work. 

It's like buying a car that boasts all wheel drive, but every time you use the all wheel drive, the axels fall out and you have to completely put the car back together each morning on the side of the road. And then the manufacturer says, just use one wheel drive. Most people can get through the snow in one wheel drive. Maybe throw some chains on it. It's just as good!

I loved Bose for so long but this has really been a misleading and frustrating experience. I specifically bought this soundbar because it had the ARC technology and would be useful when I upgrade my TV. 

I own one of the most popular Samsung TV with AnyNet. I've already posted the type and model number and nobody responded. 

I'll have to lodge a formal complaint if this can't be resolved. Is there any update on your end BOSE? My goal was to buy the subwoofer and surround speakers, but the CEC handshake is total garbage right now. I feel like we paid an exorbitant price for something that isn't even fully functional. The audio when using optical does not compare. 

Please help. 

Thank you, 
Cory 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2019

I feel your pain Cory, my Soundbar 700 and Bass Module 700 went back today - after 3 weeks I’ve finally given up trying to get it to work.

Pretty disappointed as it sounded great when working, but just can’t seem to get it talking with my Samsung TV over the HDMI ARC. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

We've had our 700 soundbar for a month and it's been working 100%.  Yesterday it started turning itself off every 10-15 minutes.  This morning I unplugged the power to the television and the soundbar and then reconnected the poser after 10 minutes.  It's been running for about 2 hours now without issue.

I've read this entire thread and see similiar problems using HDMI ARC.  Our system is connected to our Samsung TV with an OPTICAL cable.  I suspect this is a related issue, I'm just surprised that using optical is a suggested fix.  Should CEC and/or other settings be changed for optical?

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Pocketman,

Thanks for writing in!

The CEC settings are used specifically for the HDMI ARC connections.  You will not need to modify any CEC settings for the soundbar or TV.

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 1, 2019

Wow, I was really one step away buying the SB700 but than discovered this thread randomly. The fact that people reported this issue over 4 months ago and the Bose engineers haven't found a solution yet is a joke, this is ridicolous, really. Glad you guys saved me from buying these speakers, thank you.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Hi Team,

Even im facing the same issue.  Got SB700 on 27 Jan 19, it worked perfectly fine till 1 Feb 19.  I tried all the option listed in the form however in vain.  Is it advisable to connect both HDMI and optic cable from Bose to TV.

Best,

Neo

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

As I mentioned in my post, our SB700 worked fine for about a month and then started turning itself off every ~10 minutes.  I unplugged both the TV (Samsung) and the soundbar for about 10 minutes or so.  Powered them both up and it's been working fine (maybe).  Past day or so I've noticed the sound cutting out occasionally using Dolby or DTS.  Fewer problems with PCM.  I'm not sure what's the best audio output to use?  The DTS NEO 2.5 really puts the sub-woofer to work.  Also, I'm using an optical connection and not HDMI.

I've not had enough issues since powering off the systems to check other audio sources, such as preset radio stations.  I am assuming the issue is related to the TV to Soundbar interface?  Hopefully a Samsung and/or Bose firmware upgrade will eventually fix this problem?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@deenow wrote:

Wow, I was really one step away buying the SB700 but than discovered this thread randomly. The fact that people reported this issue over 4 months ago and the Bose engineers haven't found a solution yet is a joke, this is ridicolous, really. Glad you guys saved me from buying these speakers, thank you.

I don’t think the CEC /ARC functional problems are limited to Bose products. I recently helped a friend set up his Sony / Yamaha system. The HDMI control didn’t work very well either. While ARC audio return was fine, trying to get all the components (TV, Receiver, BD player and cable terminal) was very inconsistent. I left well enough alone and right now my friend is happy running multiple remotes. The Sony remotes talk to each other.

I have also taken comfort just using an optical connection and forgetting about ARC. I never used CEC on my older Samsung / Bose setup because CEC was fussy. Interestingly I found the remote on my new Samsung 8000 series tv communicates really well with my TV, Apple TV and Xfinity cable terminal, without the aid of CEC. It is just a really smart and capable remote.

I for one wouldn’t care if Bose dropped ARC all together. Seems like it is not worth the trouble. Optical works just fine for carrying the audio channels.  I beleive that is the route Sonos and many other sound bar manufacturers  persued.