Cyril
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

I absolutely disagree. Selling a product that doesn’t work is a consumer product violation. The product wasn’t advertised as it wouldn’t work with leading market smart tv models. This isn’t a one of problem of a speaker having a fault. This is a product flaw that has to be addressed.

afcchris
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Bravo! Well said! Hope they can find a solution or do the right thing and offer no-quibble return for any customers affected. I realize it’s a hard issue to fix and my local dealer says that he didn’t have any returned. They could do more to work it out, like put out a communication asking for any users with the issue to reply with some information on tv model number, firmware version used etc. and then they can build up something which might make them realize what the issue is. If Bose were good they would be doing this sort of thinking now and coming up with similar ideas like I just mentioned, and then they might get to the bottom of this quicker. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with HDMI ARC. All the provided steps in here didn't fix the issue.

My setup:
Soundbar 700 (4.1.1)

Bass Module 700

Surround Speakers
Bose Music app (2.1.1)
Samsung Q9FN 65" (latest firmware 1.2.6.0)

TV settings are redirecting to the soundbar. The soundbar is always recognized by the TV, but if I turn on the TV most of the time the TV speakers will be used instead of the Soundbar even though the latter has been detected by the TV. Sometimes it works though. One thing I noticed is that this happens if I turn the TV on via it's own remote. If I turn on the TV with the Bose universal remote then the Soundbar is active and in use instead of the TV speakers. I suppose the issue is that sometimes if I turn on the TV with it's regular remote then the Bose won't wake up as it should. When checking the Bose Music app often the soundbar is in standby even though it should turn on when I turn on the TV.

Cyril
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Did you check if the sound bar is in the HDMI-CEC mode? It happens to be if the sound bar is on the TV mode I can’t hear anything from the speaker and using the Bose remote to switch to the HDMI-CEC mode brings the speaker audio 

ThierryB
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same issue with HDMI ARC. All the provided steps in here didn't fix the issue.

My setup:
Soundbar 700 (4.1.1)

Bass Module 700

Surround Speakers
Bose Music app (2.1.1)
Samsung Q9FN 65" (latest firmware 1.2.6.0)

TV settings are redirecting to the soundbar. The soundbar is always recognized by the TV, but if I turn on the TV most of the time the TV speakers will be used instead of the Soundbar even though the latter has been detected by the TV. Sometimes it works though. One thing I noticed is that this happens if I turn the TV on via it's own remote. If I turn on the TV with the Bose universal remote then the Soundbar is active and in use instead of the TV speakers. I suppose the issue is that sometimes if I turn on the TV with it's regular remote then the Bose won't wake up as it should. When checking the Bose Music app often the soundbar is in standby even though it should turn on when I turn on the TV.

From your comments above it sounds like you might be missing the HDMI-CEC / HDMI POWER SYNC option on one of the device ? Did you check both options on the TV and Soundbar ?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Anonymous wrote:

I notice a similar situation that works favourably in my situation. There are multiple users in the house, some prefer no additional sound from the Bose gear. I have everything setup for ARC. While watching TV or readying to turn off the TV, if I turn off the Bose sound bar then the TV speakers are engaged. The SoundBar is left off until I manually turn it on again. However if I turn off the TV with the Bose gear left on then everything goes off in unison and can be turned back on with a single remote.

This procedure works for me as I can control what state I leave the home theater in for other users. I suspect the behaviour you are seeing is normal. You have to figure out what remote you want to use and what state you leave your gear in.

redwingfn02
Participant
Registered since

May 1, 2019

I’ve heard of so many issues with Bose and Samsung tv’s. I was able to fix the arc issue a couple of times and then just decided to use Bluetooth to connect the sound bar to my tv. Then once Bluetooth stopped working I have decided to just get rid of it. My sound bar is only about 6 or 7 months old. I would like to return it, but I believe it’s past the return period. Also, I’ve heard of an issue with the power going out and Bose would not waranty the sound bar at the 13month point even though he had so many of these other issues connecting to the tv. This is a such a hassle that I’m either going to sell it or try to return it. I’ve never been so unhappy with a product and will be very reluctant to buy Bose products in the future. I’m big into home theaters and prefer high end components and speakers like Klipsch, but for our main floor I wanted something that sounded good, but didn’t have a lot of wires and was more hidden. This is why I chose Bose. Extremely disappointed!

Derrick
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

I thought I would go ahead and comment one more time to the community. This product is seriously flawed. I have made every attempt to provide feedback to Bose to try and get this remedied and they expressed no desire to fix this or any of the other problems. I have communicated on this forum, had hours long phone calls with their support team, and made attempts to speak with their engineering department (no dice). Despite the overwhelming claims of issues on this forum, they claim the probelm is with all the products I own, and the Soundbar 700 is not the issue. Well I can tell you this is false. Here are my known issues (All well documented in other posts):

- HDMI Arc: Sound will stop working frequently, and I fear it is unhealthy for my TV to keep getting HDMI audio port shut down that requires a hard reboot                        of the TV.

- Bluetooth: Soundbar 700 is uncapable of pairing to basic bluetooth devices (My case, an Audio Technica Turntable)

- Power Sync Featue: This feature worked, but quit working a couple months ago.

My opinion is that Bose will not provide any feedback as to whether they can or will fix any of these issues. They will quietly set back as we wait hopeful, until our devices fall out of warranty. And then, they will eventually release a new product that will have all these fixes and expect us to shout out $$$$ to upgrade. My reasoning for this claim is to look at all the customers on here requesting a longer backlight timer on the remote as an example. This should be 'small potatoes' to fix. It has been almost a year since the first request was posted on here and its crickets. FACE IT PEOPLE, they arent going to fix the backlight timer. And likely wont fix any of the other problems. I am suprised at my own negativity here, as I was a huge Bose Fan (own multiple prodcuts). But the experience I have had interacting with them on this product will keep me away from any future purchase. I was lucky enough to negotiate a return of this product from my place of purchase. Bose customer service would do nothing, except send me a new soundbar that would exhibit the same issues. My advice would be to run away from this product as quick as you can, unless you are comfortable owning a thousand dollar soundbar that only works every once in a while and is quite possibly damaging the ports on your TV. It's sad to think of how excited I was when this arrived in the mail. It was one of the priciest electronic purchases I have ever made. I wish Bose would have done more so that this would not have been such a disappointment. Good luck everybody! And Bose, Send this message to you "Escalation Team."  

afcchris
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Good post. Bose will lose customers due to this and also their reputation would be scarred.  My local dealership were offering a trade in deal for money off with you having to present 2 speakers to them. I gave them an old samsung soundbar and bass speaker I got free with a tv, as that was acting in the spirit of the deal, but a lot of people apparently come to them with a couple of cheap Bluetooth speakers and some people even gave them speakers that didnt work. When I asked the guy why they do it he said it’s jusr for market monopoly. Funny thing is that they end up giving people a soundbar that has issues and the customer would probably not touch Bose again for that sort of purchase! Plan backfired a bit there...

steven.e.blum@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2018

Watching this post with some amusement.. 
I've had my Soundbar 700 for over a year now.  I think I was among the first to complain about the ARC/CEC issue.
Bose is not going to solve or even address this issue.
I hear they make good Headphones... but the Soundbar 700 was a big miss...

To the Bose Engineers:
   I purchased the Soundbar 300 and used it for a few months with NO ARC problems.
   I found out about the 700 and Best Buy offered me a "Deal" to upgrade.   This was attractive because of the Alexa addition
   So Bose Engineers,  why did the 300 have NO issues,  but the 700 is a mess.
   Here are some answers you might try
     1) I have no idea what you are talking about
     2) Yes we made some technical changes to the 700 that resulted in the issue and we really are not going to offer a solution

To those who are thinking of purchasing the Soundbar 700... 
    Don't period... nuf said.

For those who have recently purchased the Soundbar 700..  try to take it back!
   I would look into Sonos?  A year ago when I compared Bose Soundbar to Sonos I found them to be similar in audio quality..  
   I don't know if the Sonos system has issues?

For those struggling with their Soundbar 700...   
     I don't think the issue will ever be addressed by Bose.   
     We are stuck with this system.. 
    The only sure option is to go optical.    

To those who have no issue
    Luck you

My experience with the 700
   I have a year old LG OLED 55" tv.. too lazy right now to look up the model again
   I struggled for quite some time to get the ARC/CEC system to work...  Bose suggested ooga-booga procedures were fairly useless.
   Somehow I got it to work.. and It worked for a few months..  but then something changed... maybe a Bose update or LG update...
   I'm once again having issues getting it to work... and I find my TV turns on for no reason...
   Could be my fault .. who knows.. what a hassle
   The Bose "story" about lack of ARC/CEC standards may be a valid one.  Still they put out a flawed product,  and refuse to respond to the issue.

Additional comments bout the 700 
  What I like:
     The 700 sound was good
  What I dislike
       bar itself  lacks physical buttons or ever a sure way to tell if the darn thing is on
       No power button or a way to reset the system per Bose suggestion when you can get sound
       Inability to program it without a phone app, and the app itself is poorly designed
      Poor remote interface

Like I said... they make good headphones......... I think  (I dont own one)