Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

Noisy Narrator

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

I don't know about the new Harmony remotes, but my Harmony 880 couldn't be easier or work any better.  There are still a few around on eBay.

Highlighted
Noisy Narrator

@Blakehh wrote:

I had that idea.. I was concerned I’d lose audio quality with optical. Is that the case?

Optical may reduce the amount of audio signal being made available to the speaker. For example, Netflix is now putting out higher quality sound requiring greater bandwith than what optical can support. Subjectively I have found the sound on my Cinemate 130 sounds better connected via ARC(HDMI) v optical watching Netflix streams.

From Netflix:

• 5.1: From 192 kbps (good) up to 640 kbps (great/perceptually transparent)
  • Dolby Atmos: From 448 kbps up to 768 kbps (Dolby Atmos is available for members subscribed to the Premium plan)

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Animated Arbiter

I'm using the Harmony Elite (switched from HDMI Arc to Optical) and I'm able to control all devices incl Bose 700 Soundbar. HDMI was a mess when switching Devices and controlling the output to Bose 700. 

Noisy Narrator

@aschb01 wrote:

I'm using the Harmony Elite (switched from HDMI Arc to Optical) and I'm able to control all devices incl Bose 700 Soundbar. HDMI was a mess when switching Devices and controlling the output to Bose 700. 

I only recently began using HDMI ARC after buying a new TV. For years I stayed away from ARC/CEC. The CEC settings seemed to be the source of problems for me. I was happy to run everything through my Cinemate 130 console and use multiple remotes. In addition to stability that setup allowed multiple users to pick and choose audio supplementation. Optical carried the audio signal quite nicely. 

A few months ago I started to prepare for upgrades, starting first with a new 4K TV. Prior to the TV arriving I tried running all my peripherals through the TV and connecting the audio through optical. CEC still turned off. One reason I tried this setup was because I was anticipating 4K issues in that none of my preripherals supported 4K. Optical connection was recommended by the forum moderators. Connecting the optical cable to my old TV resulted in LPCM 2.0 sound. Turns out the optical port didn’t support DD5.1. Regardless everything seemed to work fine. 

When the new TV arrived I hooked up all my perherals and the optical cable. That is when I discovered, the Samsung Series 8000 did apps very well and I was able to access 4K HDR streams. The optical port support DD5.1. So all of a sudden, no worries about older peripherals and 4K compromising the chain. 

The next jump, after reading about @jimgfitz  success with ARC, I connected the Cinemate to the TV ARC port and turned on CEC, determined to work through any issues. After a little trial and error I was able to control all my peripherals (old Apple TV, old BD DVD player and cable tuner). At first it was a little tricky and I fought the urge to just go back to optical and forget it! With a little perseverence my system settled down and has been stable since. I was even able to leave my gear in a state that only the TV powers up without the sound bar.  Or I can grab my Bose or Samsung remote and everything powers up, sound bar included.

My point is that ARC/CEC is complicated and often requires some fiddling especially if there are many different components and brands in use. I am glad I gave it an honest try and have been happy with my Bose /Samsung setup, now using ARC. To me the sound is better and the functionality is handy.

As an aside, with the new TV and built in 4K HDR apps I really only need the cable tuner. All the other peripherals are pretty much obsolete and are just collecting dust. 

Quiet Contributor

Hey wow thanks for the awesome reply. I love all the info you providers. I actually think I have the right combination of CEC settings for all my devices to finally play nice. If they don’t I may just do what you suggest and go optical. Aloha!

Audible Advocate

I completely agree, I must have put about 10+ hours into trying to fix this as well as replacing all cables (just to be sure), I’m still experienceing random sound drops and arc is not working at all. This is really upsetting, I cannot believe I have spent so much on a speaker system that fails to deliver. 

Quiet Contributor

All these issues with hdmi arc are simply because people have no patience and dont understand that anything related to a computer or wi fi will have problems because there is no set standard. Bose has to make this work will every tv and ever router. So SLooo down and figure out which HDMI port on your tv is labeled HDMI/Arc or HDMI/CEC Plug the bose 700 into a HDMI outlet into one of these HDMI ports . either of these will work. 

Next go to you tv settings and choose your HDMI/ARC port and turn this on / enable this port. whatever you have to do turn this port on. on my samsung tv HDMI port 4 was also the HDMI/ARC port. so plug your 700 soundbar into this port and then go to option and enable or turn this port on.

Now be sure that you press the button on the BOSE remote that has the TV icon its at the top of the remote directly under the power button. I was pulling my hair out because the entire time i couldnt get sound out of the 700 soundbar was because i had not pushed the TV button. It wil turn blue when you push it. 

IF you bought a system open box then someones already been there and all the automatic stuff will be gone. Thats NOO Problem. just push the tv and rewind button both at the same time for 4 seconds and the light on the front of he soundbar will turn orange . now run the bose music app on your phone and it wil work fine.

Im telling you it works take your time and dont skip steps.  think about what your doing. people are Crazy if they think bose would honestly release something that didnt work. 

IT works it just like anything that has to do with wi fi and computers its just complicated and not easy because your so flooded with options and information your about to have a meltdown. 

If you wont to start over push the power button and the fast foward button on the remote for 6 seconds to reset the sound bar.

Soooo BE sure to push the blue tv button on the remote to enable HDMI/ARC.   Be sure to enable HDMI/ARC on the HDMI port you plugged the sound bar into.. I really hope this helps. the soundbar with the sub will Blow your mind once you have it all set up. until. you complete setup you have no clue what its capable of..  everything I tried works GREAT. the google voice commands. iheart radio everything works great. you have to adjust the BASS treble and sub with the bose music app. so until you have that totallyi working you have no idea what its capable of. 

The sound you first get is flat and so so. but once you get the bose music app working and all the functions of the soundbar turn on its MIND BLOWING.

-Post Edited by Moderator-

Noisy Narrator

Thanks, but we can do without the profanity.

Friendly Fanatic

@mike daniel wrote:

All these issues with hdmi arc are simply because people have no patience and dont understand that anything related to a computer or wi fi will have problems because there is no set standard. Bose has to make this work will every tv and ever router. So SLooo down and figure out which HDMI port on your tv is labeled HDMI/Arc or HDMI/CEC Plug the bose 700 into a HDMI outlet into one of these HDMI ports . either of these will work. 

Next go to you tv settings and choose your HDMI/ARC port and turn this on / enable this port. whatever you have to do turn this port on. on my samsung tv HDMI port 4 was also the HDMI/ARC port. so plug your 700 soundbar into this port and then go to option and enable or turn this port on.

Now be dam sure that you press the button on the BOSE remote that has the TV icon its at the top of the remote directly under the power button. I was pulling my hair out because the entire time i couldnt get sound out of the 700 soundbar was because i had not pushed the TV button. It wil turn blue when you push it. 

IF you bought a system open box then someones already been there and all the automatic stuff will be gone. Thats NOO Problem. just push the tv and rewind button both at the same time for 4 seconds and the light on the front of he soundbar will turn orange . now run the bose music app on your phone and it wil work fine.

Im telling you it works take your time and dont skip steps.  think about what your doing. people are Crazy if they think bose would honestly release something that didnt work. 

IT works it just like anything that has to do with wi fi and computers its just complicated and not easy because your so flooded with options and information your about to have a meltdown. 

If you wont to start over push the power button and the fast foward button on the remote for 6 seconds to reset the sound bar.

Soooo BE DAM sure to push the blue tv button on the remote to enable HDMI/ARC.   Be sure to enable HDMI/ARC on the HDMI port you plugged the sound bar into.. I really hope this helps. the soundbar with the sub will Blow your mind once you have it all set up. until. you complete setup you have no clue what its capable of..  everything I tried works GREAT. the google voice commands. iheart radio everything works great. you have to adjust the BASS treble and sub with the bose music app. so until you have that totallyi working you have no idea what its capable of. 

The sound you first get is flat and so so. but once you get the bose music app working and all the functions of the soundbar turn on its MIND BLOWING.

@mike daniel  - you don’t think people have tried all this stuff and more? What a condescending and patronizing post.

Animated Arbiter

@mike daniel wrote:

Now be dam sure that you press the button on the BOSE remote that has the TV icon its at the top of the remote directly under the power button. I was pulling my hair out because the entire time i couldnt get sound out of the 700 soundbar was because i had not pushed the TV button. It wil turn blue when you push it. 

Soooo BE DAM sure to push the blue tv button on the remote to enable HDMI/ARC.   Be sure to enable HDMI/ARC on the HDMI port you plugged the sound bar into.. I really hope this helps. the soundbar with the sub will Blow your mind once you have it all set up. until. you complete setup you have no clue what its capable of..  everything I tried works GREAT. the google voice commands. iheart radio everything works great. you have to adjust the BASS treble and sub with the bose music app. so until you have that totallyi working you have no idea what its capable of. 

You do understand that people have gone through all these, including with Bose tech support, and it still not working for some ? And if you are lucky enough to have one of the rare combo working with ARC, then you have to deal with sound cutting issues and no solution / acknoledgement from Bose... (using both ARC and optical cable...)

I am in the second category by the way... and I am quite sure you have the sound cutting issue but you didn't notice it yet...

The sound (when working) is very good, noone denies that... The fondamental issue is releasing a product with so many bug / issues... obviously before it was ready to put on the market... (and that was one year ago and counting...).