rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

@Jayhawk wrote:

The TV audio output is set to HDMI/ARC with the optical cable in place between the TV and Soundbar 700.

I have limited experience with HDMI ARC and CEC being a recent convert after 10 years of using HDMI connected directly the console on my Cinemate 130.

Only recent have I ventured into the realm of HDMI ARC and CEC.

Initially I ran into some problems with my gear shutting down, much like the problems discussed on this forum. I figured out the problem had to do with how I turned off my gear using the Bose remote vs my TV remote.

After a little troubleshooting I have met with success. I can even leave my gear in a state that when my wife uses the cable remote to turn on the TV the Cinemate stays off.

After reading the various posts appears the problems are related to.

1. The firmware updates.

2. The “state” the various components are left in.

3. Activating the optical port is having some impact on CEC. (See 1 and 2)

nischit7
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

For those who want to respond Bose via tweet, refer link below -

https://twitter.com/ascharya/status/1169083882743844865?s=20

My wife posted the above tweet yesterday on my behalf

Sagar7143
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

Still I am fessing arc issues fro Bose sound bar 700 , let me proper solutions , I have done below steps but no use not responding Bose soundbar from the tv

Highlighted
BrianJP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Seems to me that Bose are more interested in providing Google assistant on the soundbar that fixing all the ongoing problems once and for all.

Well Bose it may surprise you that I didn't buy the Whole Soundbar 700 system for Google assistant and Alexa but for top quality sound. I have these assistant features on other devices in my house that cost a fraction of the soundbar and at best they are unreliable. I have the mic turned off anyway on my soundbar as I do not want to use Google or Alexa there.

I am sure I am not alone here. Just get the audio problems sorted and then worry about Google assistant for those who may want it.

You have already lost one purchase from me as I was going to buy  pair of your noise cancelling headphones but after this debacle have bought similar from a competitor.

Poioit
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2019

Just bought soundbar700 yesterday. I can’t believe it is Bose having this basic problem. I am so disappointed. And there is no solution from Bose.

Hogans
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

@nischit7 wrote:

For those who want to respond Bose via tweet, refer link below -

https://twitter.com/ascharya/status/1169083882743844865?s=20

My wife posted the above tweet yesterday on my behalf

I commented on their do a PM thing plus retweeted it!

Hogans
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

@BrianJP wrote:

Seems to me that Bose are more interested in providing Google assistant on the soundbar that fixing all the ongoing problems once and for all.

Well Bose it may surprise you that I didn't buy the Whole Soundbar 700 system for Google assistant and Alexa but for top quality sound. I have these assistant features on other devices in my house that cost a fraction of the soundbar and at best they are unreliable. I have the mic turned off anyway on my soundbar as I do not want to use Google or Alexa there.

I am sure I am not alone here. Just get the audio problems sorted and then worry about Google assistant for those who may want it.

You have already lost one purchase from me as I was going to buy  pair of your noise cancelling headphones but after this debacle have bought similar from a competitor.

How do you turn off the mic?? When I integrate my Alexa with my soundbar 700 all I want to do is listen to whatever songs I want to listen to on my soundbar I don't want my soundbar becoming my Alexa device. I even had to turn off the integrated Alexa part on the soundbar because that's what it was doing. then whatever TV show or movie we were watching the sound would stop because all of a sudden it was a giant Alexa and we would miss part of it because then our soundbar would answer in her voice. We have 3 Dots, don't need our expensive soundbar to be an Alexa device. All we want is for her to turn it on turn it off turn the volume up or turn the volume down and when we randomly want her to play a song and play it on the Bose soundbar as it used to do until they did some upgrade either on Amazon and or which is more likely on Bose end. I would love to know how to turn the mic off. We have a Bose soundbar 700 obviously I thought I would just point that out. Fingers crossed it's still working with our Samsung television with The Arc connection. Again fingers crossed and I'm actually knocking on wood that stays connected.

Longprao
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

@afcchris wrote:

@Longprao wrote:

SOLUTION: This is how I finally solved it permanently:

1. Plug in Optical cable, but you do NOT need to use Optical output from TV.
  2. In Bose Music app use Optical Auto-Wake: ON. Every other settings can be default.
  3. Enjoy HDMI ARC output, now whenever there is sound from TV, the soundbar auto wakes up and sync sound.
  4. Some rare time when it randomly does not work, change TV output to Optical or Internal speaker then change back to HDMI ARC.

It requires one more cable which is a bit annoying but now I'm able to have a reliable ARC connection with great sound. I'm using LG C8 OLED.

———

not sure how this can make a difference. It says in the app that the optical wake up feature is enabled by default when using HDMI ARC. I checked the app before I plugged in the optical cable and this setting was already on. Also, what do you mean that the optical cable doesn’t have to be plugged into the tv? 

I mean that you need to plug the Optical cable in the TV, but in the TV settings, you still set the sound output as HDMI ARC. It will magically work. I think it's because Optical Auto wake is more reliable than ARC one.

afcchris
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

@Hogans wrote:

@BrianJP wrote:

How do you turn off the mic?? When I integrate my Alexa with my soundbar 700 all I want to do is listen to whatever songs I want to listen to on my soundbar I don't want my soundbar becoming my Alexa device. I even had to turn off the integrated Alexa part on the soundbar because that's what it was doing. then whatever TV show or movie we were watching the sound would stop because all of a sudden it was a giant Alexa and we would miss part of it because then our soundbar would answer in her voice. We have 3 Dots, don't need our expensive soundbar to be an Alexa device. All we want is for her to turn it on turn it off turn the volume up or turn the volume down and when we randomly want her to play a song and play it on the Bose soundbar as it used to do until they did some upgrade either on Amazon and or which is more likely on Bose end. I would love to know how to turn the mic off. We have a Bose soundbar 700 obviously I thought I would just point that out. Fingers crossed it's still working with our Samsung television with The Arc connection. Again fingers crossed and I'm actually knocking on wood that stays connected.

@Hogans wrote:

@BrianJP wrote:

----------------

There is a little microphone symbol towards the left hand side of the bar. Just press that and a red light will go on the light panel. After that it's switched off.

Just to say that i totally agree with the comments above on the voice assistants and what Bose should be prioritzing on. I buy the bar for the sound too (and obviously for ARC to work!) ...the other things are a bonus.

afcchris
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

@Longprao wrote:

@afcchris wrote:

@Longprao wrote:

SOLUTION: This is how I finally solved it permanently:

1. Plug in Optical cable, but you do NOT need to use Optical output from TV.
  2. In Bose Music app use Optical Auto-Wake: ON. Every other settings can be default.
  3. Enjoy HDMI ARC output, now whenever there is sound from TV, the soundbar auto wakes up and sync sound.
  4. Some rare time when it randomly does not work, change TV output to Optical or Internal speaker then change back to HDMI ARC.

It requires one more cable which is a bit annoying but now I'm able to have a reliable ARC connection with great sound. I'm using LG C8 OLED.

———

not sure how this can make a difference. It says in the app that the optical wake up feature is enabled by default when using HDMI ARC. I checked the app before I plugged in the optical cable and this setting was already on. Also, what do you mean that the optical cable doesn’t have to be plugged into the tv? 

I mean that you need to plug the Optical cable in the TV, but in the TV settings, you still set the sound output as HDMI ARC. It will magically work. I think it's because Optical Auto wake is more reliable than ARC one.

------------

OK..I have the TV settings as HDMI ARC but to repeat, the optical wake up is emabled by default when using HDMI ARC and was enabled before i plugged in the optical cable. I have plugged it in and will see what happens but i really don;'t think this is anything more than a co-incidence. Actually although i did the power reset and got HDMI ARC connection working i actually still have an issue since the firmware update in that my Amazon Firestick home button doesn't wake up the soundbar anymore as the TV doesn't come on. Actually maybe the soundbar is being woken but it's not waking the TV up. Either way...it used to work fine before the last update. Let's see what Bose do next about this (hopefully something!).