Highlighted
BrianJP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

????? On the top of the bar left side there's a mic symbol crossed out

You just touch the bar there and after a beep there's a red led to show its disabled.

Havnt you downloaded the user manual everything's in there.

Tmf75
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 31, 2019

The Optical and HDMI ARK both plugged so far works for me, let’s see tomorrow when I turn it on again. I will let you all know. 

tocorobo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

So far so good.

Here's my setup:

TV: LG OLED65E8PUA

Soundbar: Bose Soundbar 700 [firmware version v5.0.12-7158+9376780]

With the Soundbar connected the tv via hdmi to an ARC enabled hdmi port and the TV sound output to HDMI ARC repeatedly the soundbar would be totally silent unless we goofed around with all the funny steps folks are posting (unplug power to tv and soundbar, re-connecting hdmi, setting sound output on tv to internal speaker and back to hdmi arc, doing a reset on the soundbar inside the LG tv settings, all that; it was totally sketchy what would fix it and what would not but without fail, within 24hrs the no sound issue on the soundbar would return).

I also tested the configuration where we have both the HDMI cable connected to the soundbar and the optical cable run to the TV and on the TV have the sound output set to HDMI ARC and in the soundbar settings in the app set to CEC enabled and I can confirm at least for me this also seems to work.

I've gone now nearly 24hrs without the device ceasing to function. I agree that it appears to be an issue such that the latest firmware on the bose seems to not be fully compatible with HDMI ARC signals to tell it to wake up when the TV starts to output sound to it via the hdmi cable. Having the optical cable does seem to make it reliable and for me is a viable workaround since the output on the TV is still set to HDMI ARC I believe the actual audio being fed to the Soundbar is still coming over the HDMI cable and not the optical audio cable but there's no way for me to really know for sure I guess. I presume what's happening here is that audio is coming to the soundbar from the tv from both the hdmi cable and from the optical cable but the soundbar uses the audio signal coming over the optical cable *ONLY* for the purpose of waking up and the audio coming out of the soundbar is the signal coming over the hdmi cable.

It would be immensely helpful if Bose themselves could comment on this thread on whether or not; when both HDMI and OPTICAL cables are connected to the TV and in the TV HDMI ARC is the output setting and in the bose soundbar CEC enabled is on which audio signal is the soundbar actually playing (the one from optical cable or the one from the hdmi cable). If it is indeed the HDMI signal, perhaps that would alleviate some folks' concerns that they feel cheated (having to use optical audio signal which some folks say is not as good as the HDMI signal).

If all that's true, so be it. If this is reliable I'm moving on : )

Hopefully in the future the firmware issues are solved and we won't have to use this workaround.

I'll post back in a few days whether or not the issue returns for me or stays reliable.

Hogans
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

@BrianJP wrote:

????? On the top of the bar left side there's a mic symbol crossed out

You just touch the bar there and after a beep there's a red led to show its disabled.

Havnt you downloaded the user manual everything's in there.

Yes actually I have downloaded and read all of it. But thx for thinking I'm to dumb to have not done that. I don't remember reading about the mic or seeing anything about the mic. If I had I wouldn't have asked. No need to be rude, we're all having issues with this soundbar working as it is.

BrianJP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

P19 & 27

I didnt think I was being rude just making sure you had the manual as it sounded like you didn't. Sorry if you were offended.

stupoox
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

@Tmf75 wrote:

The Optical and HDMI ARK both plugged so far works for me, let’s see tomorrow when I turn it on again. I will let you all know. 

Don't bet on it ... hasn't worked for me!

On an LGTV (mine at least) it outputs over both HDMI ARC and Optical ... both cables I have plugged in ... but the HDMI ARC element of it totally broken when left for 'unknown' period of time. Normally the next day it doesn't work. So at least with this config I get audio from the TV through the SB700 via optical is that bit has broken. I just can't control volume or anything that way unless using the crappy Bose remote.

Hogans
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

@BrianJP  yes I've downloaded everything. We had such issues connecting our first soundbar that finally worked till some update in July then the ARC issues happened again. I've called Bose only to get zero help and them wanting us to use the optical, which doesn't sound as good or even close. They claim it's there same. They must have hearing issues. We figured there bar must have had problems because of the update and wasn't working. Took it back to Best Buy to exchange it out. Then back to hooking the bar and satellite speakers plus bass. We had issues from the get-go again. Then magically the next day when we were messing with it I turned on the Xbox and all the sudden the arc HDMI connection was working. Every once in awhile it won't be on there but then it shows up. However now I can't have the Alexa device turn it on and off and operate the volume levels because it wants to turn the sound bar into a giant Alexa device that I don't want or need.. I don't know if that's an Amazon thing a skill thing with Alexa or another issue to add to Bose. So I just turned off the voice assistant. But if turning off the microphone on the soundbar would undo that and our Dot would be the Alexa device then that would be great. I'm waiting on knee surgery after an injury I got in the beginning of Aug, still haven't seen my Ortho Dr so my nerves are shot. Sorry if I came off as snotty.... But your comment did seem a tad offensive to me when I read it. Thank you explaining that wasn't your intention.

Mangbeloy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

As im posting this my sb700 is currently doing firmware update . Did Bose finally fix this wide spread problem... let see lets keep our finger cross.

E6CAB48F-6470-4260-8E23-788346CB506D.png

ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

@Mangbeloy wrote:

As im posting this my sb700 is currently doing firmware update . Did Bose finally fix this wide spread problem... let see lets keep our finger cross.

They didn't fix the HDMI/ARC issue. There is a sticky post from Bose on this forum for this new firmware update (5.0.14).

It's a minor update supposed to fix an issue with the remote.

They added that they are investingating the HDMI/ARC issue though... So there is some acknoledgement / progress on the communication at least.

Let's hope they didn't break anything more with this firmware, and that a major update for HDMI/Arc issue will follow quickly.

Longprao
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

About my HDMI ARC and Optical both plugged in fix, I'm confirmed that it is not truly a fix, because the sound is indeed going via Optical, not ARC, despite TV sound output is set to ARC.

So we have sound, we have ARC, but it is actually Optical sound. Unplug the Optical it will be immediately no sound.

We still need Bose to fix the ARC connection issue.