Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

Did Bose released new firmware recently ? 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Just read the posts. Many of them said that the firmware was released in the last few days with that version number. Do you not believe us? Just check as it’s probably updated already on your bar 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

vijaysiva@gmail.com wrote:

Hi there, 

Can someone confirm that Bose released any new firmware this month ?  is this new firmware 5.0.14?

The latest firmware is 5.0.14. However, this does not address any CEC issues. I'm not sure why a couple of people are claiming it all works unless the issue was never present in the first place. Reddit and other forums still claim problems, including myself. And there is a thread here from someone who claims they jumped too early and the issue came back.

Optical audio isn't worse as the Bose Soundbar 700 only supports Dolby Digital. You just lose out on the volume control from your TV and eARC if your TV supports that.

For anyone who wants HDMI ARC or eARC audio to work, there is a proper solution.

Under the Bose Music app, disable CEC on the Bose Soundbar 700 or 500 and then disconnect it from the wall power. Next, unplug your TV from the wall power for 30 seconds to clear the CEC and ARC connection. Once your TV has loaded up, head into the audio settings and manually change it from the internal speakers to either Audio System / External Speakers / ARC / eARC. It's going to be different from brand to brand.

Now, reconnect the Bose Soundbar 700 or 500 and wait for the light on the front to stop flashing. Switch it on, and it should play HDMI audio just fine, and eARC will also work for automatic lip-sync correction if your TV supports that feature. You will just need to use the soundbar remote to switch it on and off and control the volume.

All CEC offers is volume sync, power sync, and to switch the TV from internal to external speakers. Without CEC, HDMI audio should still work if you have setup your TV correctly.

I now use the Bose Power Sync feature so when I switch on my Soundbar 700, it automatically switches on my TV and my Sky Q with it. It also allows Alexa to control my Sky Q for playing and pausing. When I switch off my soundbar, everything switches off with it. It's just as good. It'll do until the firmware corrects CEC.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

A couple of people? Quite a few people I think. Whether it was supposed to fix it or not it seems to have done. Either Bose have done it on the quiet or they have done it by mistake (which would actually be hilarious!)

Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Did Bose released new firmware recently ? 

This is the question you asked.  All you have to do is read the last few posts to know that Bose did issue new firmware.  Bose did not claim this new firmware addressed this issue but some people say it solved the problem for them.  Others say it did not.

Optical does not sound as good as HDMI for many people.  The reduced bandwidth can make a difference depending on what you are listening to.  Using optical is NOT a solution.

The fix you suggested has been tried over and over by many people and does not solve the problem.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@VertigoMitch wrote:

Hi there, 

Can someone confirm that Bose released any new firmware this month ?  is this new firmware 5.0.14?

The latest firmware is 5.0.14. However, this does not address any CEC issues. I'm not sure why a couple of people are claiming it all works unless the issue was never present in the first place. Reddit and other forums still claim problems, including myself. And there is a thread here from someone who claims they jumped too early and the issue came back.

Optical audio isn't worse as the Bose Soundbar 700 only supports Dolby Digital. You just lose out on the volume control from your TV and eARC if your TV supports that.

For anyone who wants HDMI ARC or eARC audio to work, there is a proper solution.

Under the Bose Music app, disable CEC on the Bose Soundbar 700 or 500 and then disconnect it from the wall power. Next, unplug your TV from the wall power for 30 seconds to clear the CEC and ARC connection. Once your TV has loaded up, head into the audio settings and manually change it from the internal speakers to either Audio System / External Speakers / ARC / eARC. It's going to be different from brand to brand.

Now, reconnect the Bose Soundbar 700 or 500 and wait for the light on the front to stop flashing. Switch it on, and it should play HDMI audio just fine, and eARC will also work for automatic lip-sync correction if your TV supports that feature. You will just need to use the soundbar remote to switch it on and off and control the volume.

All CEC offers is volume sync, power sync, and to switch the TV from internal to external speakers. Without CEC, HDMI audio should still work if you have setup your TV correctly.

I now use the Bose Power Sync feature so when I switch on my Soundbar 700, it automatically switches on my TV and my Sky Q with it. It also allows Alexa to control my Sky Q for playing and pausing. When I switch off my soundbar, everything switches off with it. It's just as good. It'll do until the firmware corrects CEC.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Not only did the firmware update fix my HDMI ARC issue (77" LG C8), but I can also now use Alexa to control my play/pause on Netflix, YoutubeTV, and Amazon.

This was never possible before.

I named my Soundbar 700 "The TV" in the Bose Music app.  Alexa found the Soundbar and it shows as "The TV".  I have never used the LG SmartQ app, and don't even have it installed on my phone.

If I say, "Alexa, Turn on the TV" the soundbar and TV both power on, and the soundbar selects TV input automatically.

I can use Alexa (or my LG remote) to change volume, mute, play, pause, etc.  I could previously use Alexa to power on my soundbar and TV and control volume, but never play/pause things on the TV.  I am quite thrilled with this update!

The HDMI ARC issue has completely been resolved.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

@GorFex wrote:

@VertigoMitch wrote:

Hi there, 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Not only did the firmware update fix my HDMI ARC issue (77" LG C8), but I can also now use Alexa to control my play/pause on Netflix, YoutubeTV, and Amazon.

I named my Soundbar 700 "The TV" in the Bose Music app.  Alexa found the Soundbar and it shows as "The TV".  I have never used the LG SmartQ app, and don't even have it installed on my phone.

If I say, "Alexa, Turn on the TV" the soundbar and TV both power on, and the soundbar selects TV input automatically.

I can use Alexa (or my LG remote) to change volume, mute, play, pause, etc.  I could previously use Alexa to power on my soundbar and TV and control volume, but never play/pause things on the TV.  I am quite thrilled with this update!

@GorFex 

Did you factory reset your Bose Soundbar 700 at all or did you just install the update and it worked?

For Alexa, this issue was resolved in 5.0.14.

Do you have your TV set up through the Bose Universal Remote as Alexa usually interacts through IR commands such as saying Alexa, switch on, switch off, pause, play? It normally doesn't use the HDMI ARC for this. I asked Bose and they confirmed it unless it was changed. As long as you are using Alexa directly through the Soundbar 700, you don't even have to mention the name. It should just accept the commands you give it. If you use a different Echo or Alexa device in the home, then you can say Alexa, pause "The TV" and it will do it or Alexa, switch off "The TV".

Also, does your TV not show up as its own device? Under my Alexa, I have Living Room Device with the Bose Soundbar 700 attached as a speaker and then Living Room TV as an Alexa enabled TV which is connected through Bose Soundbar 700 under the description.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@VertigoMitch wrote:

@GorFex wrote:

@VertigoMitch wrote:

Hi there, 

@GorFex 

Did you factory reset your Bose Soundbar 700 at all or did you just install the update and it worked?

For Alexa, this issue was resolved in 5.0.14.

Do you have your TV set up through the Bose Universal Remote as Alexa usually interacts through IR commands such as saying Alexa, switch on, switch off, pause, play? It normally doesn't use the HDMI ARC for this. I asked Bose and they confirmed it unless it was changed. As long as you are using Alexa directly through the Soundbar 700, you don't even have to mention the name. It should just accept the commands you give it. If you use a different Echo or Alexa device in the home, then you can say Alexa, pause "The TV" and it will do it or Alexa, switch off "The TV".

Also, does your TV not show up as its own device? Under my Alexa, I have Living Room Device with the Bose Soundbar 700 attached as a speaker and then Living Room TV as an Alexa enabled TV which is connected through Bose Soundbar 700 under the description.

As part of the troubleshooting the past couple of days (before the firmware) I did remove the remote setup for my TV in the Bose Music app.  I reinstalled it (programmed it) after the firmware, so maybe that enable the play/pause functionality...and I just never new it was there (since it wasn't when I first bought the soundbar and TV almost a year ago).

The actual TV does not appear in Alexa because I have never had it search for it (or maybe I removed it a long time ago) because I wanted to rename my SB 700 as "The TV".  This way, I can say, "Alexa, turn on the TV" and she knows to power on the SB 700, which automatically powers on the TV through CEC.

Hope that makes sense.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

@GorFex wrote:

@VertigoMitch wrote:

Hi there, 

in the last 10 minutes mine has gone bad again. I knew it couldn't last.

My experience with the latest update is that it made the sound work throough HDMI but i wasn't able to wake the TV using my Amazon Fire tv remote home button. This was at first but the next day it started to work. Nothing obvious had changed to affect this. Then today turned the TV on with the fire tv remote home button and then made sure the tv button was pressed and lit up on the Bose remote. It was but i found that the volume on the remote wasn't working and also the volume buttons on the FIre tv remote didn't work. I found the tv was using the tv speaker for sound. I switched to the Bose and then had the lovely situation i had before where i couldn't use anything (tv remote or bose remote) to change the volume! I have plugged in the optical cable again now.

Bose - this is so terrible. Please fix this issue or allow customers to return them for a full refund. 

Never buying Bose again

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Just reading the few of us folks that the 5.0.14 seems to have fixed it for ... looks like maybe that is for LG TVs? 

3 days and its been fine, but will see ....!!

I see Sony based TVs still having an issue. Which is strange.

I wonder what treats and breakages we'll get when they come up with the next one... !