Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

A bit of an update. 

I spent a few hours on Friday reading forums and started from scratch with our system.  One of the problems I was having was the "receiver" choice was not able to be selected.  Someone on the Samsung forum said Samsung was beaming a signal to the TV becasue they want consumers to stay in their ecosystem (who knows?), but I reset the Samsung and deleted it from our network because we have an Apple TV 4k and we really don't need the TV to be "smart".    Once I reset the Samsung I was able to select "receiver".   I set everything back up and all apps and my apple TV remote were working with the exception that I couldn't figure out how to change the output with the Apple remote which is what I eventually hope to do. 

Okay, so everything was finally working for three days straight UNTIL my husband listened to Spotify on the Bose while cooking dinner.  We went to watch TV two hours later and we had to start all over again trying to figure out how to get sound.  In thinking back historically about this problem, I think it may have something to do with using the app for streaming music becasue I usually do that while cooking dinner each night as well.  For some reason it takes the bar offline from the Apple and TV setup.  Is anyone else able to relate their issue with the use of the phone app for streaming music and then having the TV sound issue?  After going through this I don't believe it is a Samsung issue as other folks on that forum suggest, I think it may be a Bose app issue as well as a conflict of redundancies.  If you have your TV setup as "smart" and a streaming device as well as a Cable box, it would make sense that their would be conflicts if each piece wasn't programmed correctly.  The problem is, with so many devices and options, how do we get the information for proper programming of our individual setups?  Each set of instructions I read of Friday basically assume you just have a TV and their product, which is far from realistic. If we can get organized with sharing our system setups and when the problem occurs and what is done before the problem and after (to get sound back) maybe we can figure this thing out.

Another thing I will investigate is if there is some limitation in our router setup.  I'm wondering if there is a WiFi device limit set that goes over the threshold when we use our Bose to stream or maybe an IP/Mac address issue because we have a router and extender.  Hey engineers, could this cause an issue?  If so would giving the soundbar a static address fix the issue?

We are running:

Bose Soundbar 700

Samsung UN65H6300AF

New Apple TV 4K

Verizon Fios HD Cable Box

Sony Playstation 2

No Alexa or Google Voice

HDMI from Soundbar to HDMI ARC

****Streaming Pandora and Spotify to Soundbar  - Doing this seem to cause the soundbar to disconnect from the TV audio forcing us to have to unplug everything when we want to watch TV.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

@aprilbeingsocialgreat information and great that you have gone to these lengths to think out of the box and try something. However....BOSE should be doing this sort of research if they really want to fix this issue. I agree with people sharing their system setups and have long thought that but again, Bose need to be getting on this thread and asking for this information. I am on a Samsung TV too but there are lots of other TVs with the same issue. I had my bar back from the service center recently with them saying it's worked fine on 3 TVs but i told them that it needs to be tested for longer. I know they can't do that but they actually came to my place to set it all up again. I asked them to set it up on a Sony TV we use for some Xbox and TV. After one week it has reverted back to using the tv speakers after working fine for a week.

I KNOW this is a Bose issue....and they need to fix it.

Bose - please address this issue or let people get refunds. I was told that your policy is to only allow returns for 5 days (in my country anyway) and not returns/refunds after that period and supposedly the reason you say this is that most problems can be resolved. This one isn't being resolved for months so what now?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

@afcochris   No doubt Bose should be involved in this resolution but if I can do anything to get this done, I'm gonna do it.  As I'm sure everyone can relate, it is a real drag after a long day to sit down and not be able to watch a show or two without going through a whole diagnostic process.  I've even thought of buying a new TV, but your post has made me reconsider that.  Another thing I thought to try is to set it up without the cable box first and then without the Playstation just to see if either of those are causing issues.

Do you happen to have an Apple TV?

I guess eventually we will just buy something different if this doesn't get resolved but I still have hope!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

I also have a samsung TV and have been encountering this issue in the past. In my case, the connection breaks when I turn on the TV and there's no sound even if the TV says it's outputting the sound into the soundbar via hdmi (receiver).

The connection usually breaks for me when:

1. I use the soundbar to play music via spotify

2. I use alexa (not too sure about this)

Seems like the soundbar can't re-establish the connection to the tv once it switches inputs while TV is turned off.

After the latest firmware update it stabilized a little bit for me but I still do get the occasional disconnects. The method to reconnect that works for me is just to turn off the tv and turn off power from the socket (same as disconnecting the plug) of JUST the TV not the soundbar. Once I turn on the power and the TV the connection works again. I mainly use the TV remote and the only time I use the Bose remote is to switch the soundbar input from "Music" (the musical note icon)  to "TV" if "Music" is lit up.

I recently cancelled my spotify and avoided using Alexa on my soundbar. Since then my connection has been stable. I haven't tried connecting a bluetooth device to the soundbar to airplay music and see if this breaks the connection.

Hope this helps in anyway to some of the owners out there.

Cheers,

Donni

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2018

I used to get all these issues. I think it’s a internet connection problem I disconnect the sound bar from the internet about 4 months ago and have not had a single problem since. I know u lose the Alexa and the option to adjust settings through the app but I had the sound set up to how I like it and already have an Alexa in the room 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

Well thanks for that info Donni!  It's another indicator that it may be Spotify, at least for some of us becasue there's no way to tell if this is only one problem or a few.  The sad thing is we purchased this setup because I was sick of the Pioneer receiver we had and the five remotes I had to mess with. I want one remote and all my things to work.  I'm old enough to remember when you just turned your tv on and it worked.  All this "advancement" is a real time waster.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

@Scoobyterzo   Do you listen to music via apps like Spotify or Pandora?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Yes I do have an Apple TV. 

I think that you’re thinking reasonably in wondering if it’s being caused by something other than the bar or tv but I am pretty sure that it’s down to the bar. I’m completely glass half-empty about this being anything other than the bar. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2018

Not sure u can if it’s not connected to internet but I just use the Bluetooth and use Spotify of my phone or use Spotify of the tv. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 19, 2019

Hi Donni

Interesting post but all it just reinforces the fact that there is a problem with the bar that Bose needs to fix. They shouldn’t sell a bar that gets affected by issues using the apps that they advertise as features. They need to work out why it can’t re-establish connection and make people have to disconnect from the power to reset everything. I’m all for people working to get around the issues by changing how they use the bar but why should they need to do that. We spent our hard earned money to enjoy a constant performance whether we use the apps or not. Personally I have hardly used the bar for anything except the tv and have still had issues. 

I have been using a Sonos Beam for the last 3 weeks on my Samsung tv. I bought it for my family as they are moving back to our home country soon and I got a good price on it so snapped it up. When I took the Bose to the service center for the 2nd time I decided to inbox the Sonos and it’s been perfect since with no issues..same

tv..different bar..no problems...even more evidence that this Bose bar is crap. And to top it all off the Sonos has far superior sound! It’s supposed to not be comparable due to the different price point but it’s stunning!