wing
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI Arc issue

Just bought SB700 this week. After 2 days the HDMI Arc stopped working, and all the sales people just ask you to use optical instead, saying it sounds better. Tech support impossible to get through. Lost a lot of faith in Bose for such an inferior product for the price they charge..

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@wing wrote:

Just bought SB700 this week. After 2 days the HDMI Arc stopped working, and all the sales people just ask you to use optical instead, saying it sounds better. Tech support impossible to get through. Lost a lot of faith in Bose for such an inferior product for the price they charge..

Technically ARC has broader bandwith than optical so the "optical sounds better" statement is flawed.

wing
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

I’d like to believe so, but before the Soundbar stopped working, the HDMI ARC connection sounded better with crisper sounds than the optical link. Same settings were applied to equalizer etc

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@wing wrote:

I’d like to believe so, but before the Soundbar stopped working, the HDMI ARC connection sounded better with crisper sounds than the optical link. Same settings were applied to equalizer etc

Recently I did a little research and experimenting spourned on in part by Netflix’s announcement about providing higher quality audio. I concluded HDMI via the ARC port is the best way to go. After reading many posts expressing disappointment around Bose, Samsung and HDMI/ARC and CEC connections I was hesitant to set my gear using the ARC port but I percerviered and all is working very well now. I found the HDMI method more open and detailed and takes advantage of Netflix’s audio stream.This on a Cinemate 130 and Samsung 8000 series TV. 

This article expands on the on the topic and shows a popular graph displaying the bandwith values for Optical, ARC and eARC.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

And, if you get a Logitech Harmony programmable remote, you can make dealing with all of your devices so easy.  I've been lucky and never had any problems using HDMI exclusively.  CEC helps also.

wing
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Thks Guys. Does anyone know if I download and update manually the latest Bose SB700 firmware (3.0.16), whether that solve the HDMI recognition problem on the soundbar?

wing
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Thks Guys. Does anyone know if I download and update manually the latest Bose SB700 firmware (3.0.16), whether that solve the HDMI recognition problem on the soundbar?

ThierryB
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

The latest firmware is 4.1.1 and as far as I understand doesn’t solve the issues.

wing
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Bummer! In Singapore, where I’m at, they don’t allow returns unlike in US. So don’t buy stuff here where the issues are not fixed! Thks for the reply, Thierry.

Tj_harvey
Participant
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Hi everyone, just want to give abit of advice as I was having the same issue with my Samsung ks8000 and the Bose soundtouch 700, constant issues with arc and the Soundbar not working, this was a replacement with the Bose soundtouch 300, i since purchased a Samsung Q90r, was getting constant drop out in sound, so I thought that it was a arc issue unti I changed the hdmi cable that come with the Bose soundtouch 700 to the one that come with the soundtouch 300, and hay presto the tv recognised the soundtouch the Bose logo appeared, never seen that before, plus the tv picked it up as soundtouch 700, so definitely a problem with the new hdmi cable, even though the new hdmi cable is a better cable, this was the issue for me, everything working perfectly, hope this helps some people out,