Highlighted
stormyuk
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

Bose Soundbar 700 with Spotify Free (via Spotify Mobile App)?

Hi,

Does the Soundbar 700 work with Spotify Free accounts as a dumb wireless speaker? For example my Sony Bravia TV allows me to just connect to it via the Spotify App on mobile and play Spotify Free. Its unclear from the documentation if this will work with the Soundbar 700.  The Bose App requires Spotify Premium to link but I am unsure about just using Spotify on the mobile independantly.

Can anyone with a Soundbar 700 test Spotify Free via mobile? 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 with Spotify Free (via Spotify Mobile App)?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

You can definetly use bluetooth with a free Spotify account.  Spotify Connect which is over wifi and has better sound as a result didn't used to be available to free account holders (this was limited on Spotify's side not Bose).  It appears that Spotify Connect has now been opened up to free accounts on Spotify's side, but this is only a very recent thing and will depend on manufacturer inplementing the latest SDK, maybe the mods or someone with a free account can answer for sure.  More information here...  https://lifehacker.com/spotify-users-with-free-accounts-can-now-use-their-phon-1830280112

In short, if you are happy to use bluetooth, not a problem.  If you want to use Spotify Connect, this may not be possible.  The Spotify Premium account will work with both and in my opinion is very much worth it but that's just personal preference.

5 REPLIES 5
tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Charlotte_G

You can definetly use bluetooth with a free Spotify account.  Spotify Connect which is over wifi and has better sound as a result didn't used to be available to free account holders (this was limited on Spotify's side not Bose).  It appears that Spotify Connect has now been opened up to free accounts on Spotify's side, but this is only a very recent thing and will depend on manufacturer inplementing the latest SDK, maybe the mods or someone with a free account can answer for sure.  More information here...  https://lifehacker.com/spotify-users-with-free-accounts-can-now-use-their-phon-1830280112

In short, if you are happy to use bluetooth, not a problem.  If you want to use Spotify Connect, this may not be possible.  The Spotify Premium account will work with both and in my opinion is very much worth it but that's just personal preference.

stormyuk
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

Thanks for the response, it appears my Sony Bravia TV (maybe due to being Android?), is Spotify Connect enabled even with free accounts, so works with very good quality. Not sure I want to risk buying an expensive Soundbar only to find its not supported. I could of course just use the TV as I do now connected to the Soundbar 700 but flexibility is always the key and it would be nice not to need the TV on.

I understand people needing Spotify Premium accounts but its not something I want to subscribe to at the moment. I did try having a look at the latest Bose software and it definately requires a Spotify Premium account. So still not 100% sure how streaming directly from the Spotify app would interact with the 700.

Thanks anyway.

Hello tippex,

Thank you for helping on the community.

This is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

t3kn0logix
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 23, 2019

One other thing with the bose 700, are you able to access it as a wireless speaker once initially setup through the spotify app without going through the bose app? i understand there are more features and adjustments in the bose app, i was just curious if this would allow someone to connect other speakers through spotify as the soundtouch and other wifi speakers arent supported through the bose app. it would have been nice if support for those had carried forward into the new app. thanks.

Hi T3kn0logix, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Spotify will not allow you to play music to 2 speakers at the same time via the app. So you would not be able to play to a SoundTouch speaker and the Soundbar 700 at the same time. 

However, the Soundbar 700 is discoverable through the Spotify App without the need of the Bose Music App. 

I hope this helps!

Kind regards, 

Vicky W