Jespertheend
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 17, 2018

Bose Soundbar 700 with more homekit support

Hi, I often have to switch from airplay to TV input. Now I can either do this with the remote by clicking the TV icon. Or I can do it from my phone by turning airplay off (the soundbar automatically goes in standby) and then turning the soundbar on from the Bose Music app. But I'd like to be able to use siri to do this. Also sometimes my tv gets turned off because the soundbar is connected via HDMI-CEC and when the soundbar goes in stand by it turns off the tv as well.

So I'd like to be able to turn the soundbar on and off from within the homekit app, that would already solve a lot. Right now the bose icon in homekit doesn't really seem to do anything, it's just kind of there without any functionality. Could we get more homekit support?

Also, is there some sort of api that the soundbar exposes that I can use to take care of this myself?

~Jesper

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 with more homekit support

Hi there @Jespertheend and welcome to the Bose Community!

Thank you for your interest in our systems 😊. We always appreciate feedback, and I have passed on your requests to our development team to see if this can be considered for the future.

I regret to inform you that we don't have a Software Development Kit/App Programming Interface for public use, although I have passed this request along as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions or further suggestions!

Liam W - Community Support

citizen
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 14, 2019

One thing I’ve found that is very useful about having the 700 added to HomeKit is that, once you give it a simple name in HomeKit, like “Soundbar” and assign it to a room, like “living room”, you can then direct Siri to use it.

Example: “hey Siri, play Led Zeppelin on my Soundbar” and she will respond that she’s playing it in the living room. 

I do hope they are working to add more compatibility but this is certainly very useful and should be promoted / suggested more in documentation so people can get the most out of the 700. 

“hey Siri play my 80s playlist on my sound bar” is a pretty awesome trick. 

Jespertheend
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 17, 2018

Yeah, that’s a nice feature, and I’m already using it actively.

My main issue has been solved now though. Whenever I turn on the TV, the speaker automatically stops playing from airplay and switches to the TV audio. So that’s really convenient. Not sure if an update fixed this or if it is because I made changes to my CEC settings.

I still wish I could change the volume with homekit though. But I don’t think apple has support for this so I don’t think we’ll be seeing this any time soon. I know bose is working on a new api, once that’s released I’ll try to expose the soundbar volume as a light using homebridge.