fanbosenomo
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 5, 2019

Bose Surround Speakers

Dear Bose, 

I wanted a little bit of home theater "surround" experience so 3 months ago I added the surround speakers to my soundbar 700. 

Soundbar 700 sounds great, I am very happy with its performance. Few software glitches, but I'm sure those will be addressed with time. 

The surround spekaers on the other hand, I am extremely disappointed with. $450AUD price tag does not justify the performance. 

The speakers are nowhere powerfull enough. Watching movies in DTS I only hear very subtle sounds from the each speaker with the soundbar blasting in the foreground.

I understand if I had a huge living room and sitting position with long distance from the speakers. That is not the case however, surround speakers are a meter from the couch on each side!

I would not recommend! Absolulte waste of money. I would like my money back !

Soundbar 700  8/10 

Surround speakers 0/10

4 REPLIES 4
ThierryB
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Re: Bose Surround Speakers

Did  you rerun AdaptiQ calibration ?

You can as well increase the volume of the rear speakers through the Bose Music APP.

I have the same setup as you and mine are 2 meters away on top of my head so much further, and if you listen to movies which use the rear speakers, then the experience is very good. I cannot put the volume of the rear speaker to max,  otherwise it tends to cover the voice too much.

Note that all movies don't make good use of the rear speakers. It depends on the movie a lot.

Try "Transformers Age of Extinction" or "Ready Player One" for instance. Watching these movies with rear speakers provide amazing experience.

fanbosenomo
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 5, 2019

I did run the calibration, No change, I have the volume at 100%. 

I read on another blog to run the calibration with speakers positioned further away and once complete put them back in original spot. Apparently that increases the volume. 
will try that. 

ThierryB
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

That my do the trick. Also you need to run the calibration with volume at 0 for all speakers, and increase volume as needed but after.

I have centre channel at 100, and rear at 70 personnally with my setup and it works out great.

Derrick
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

I purchased the surround speakers and I am new to having the rear speakers in a 5.1 setup. I was curious as to what I should expect out of these? I mean, yes, they do improve the experience of hearing sound around you but the sound out of these things is not of highes quality. I feel like it has no bass and is very "tinny" sounding, sound like a laptop speaker. Is this expected from a rear speaker? I know the subwofer is providing ample bass, but I would expect these surround speakers to be on the same level as a bookshelf speaker. I guess I am not sure what to expect and i'm curious as to what other's experience has been with them. any feedback would be appreciated.