Bose and Alexa

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Bose and Alexa

I see that this topic has been covered (to some extend) but I never get a clear answer whether Alexa is just not available for Bose SoundTouch speakers or if it’s my setup. I know that the "SKILL" is available for download on the Alexa portal but does it really work or is it just a marketing stunt? I´m a software engineer and have never gotten it close to working.

The Bose hardware is fantastic but you can´t rely on that alone and good software is a really important component when selecting speakers today so I hope that Bose won’t let SONOS get too far away. They certainly have some catching up to do. SONOS just plug and play no problem.

Questions I have:

• Will Bose ever be (like SONOS) a "Speaker Device" option that is detectable by Alexa and not just rely on on the "Skills"?
  • Is Bose aware of the "Skills" issues in Alexa as I can’t get anything to work? Yes I am using English
  • If yes to the above, is there some roadmap and dates we can expect an enjoyable Alexa experience or shall we just convert to SONOS?
  • Bose is very sensitive to Wi-Fi Channels. I constantly have to reconfigure my router. Will this issue be addressed so I don’t have to fiddle around? I happen to have SONOS too and never a bit of problems.
  • Probably not related but I added a Spotify playlist to my Bose channel (1-6). It would be nice to play it in Shuffle mode otherwise you always get the same order. Again here Bose could improve the music service integration.

Thank you in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Noisy Narrator

Re: Bose and Alexa

I have an Amazon Echo Dot that works with my Bose Soundtouch 300, but I haven't found it very useful.  I can say, "Alexa, ask Bose to play preset 1" (6 presets), but that is about the extent of it.  I can ask it to turn up and down the volume or stop playing, etc.

Audible Advocate

I have 3 x SoundTouch 10 and my speakers are called e.g. "Olga Bose" and never have I been able to get e.g. "Alexa, play Song on Olga Bose" working. The problem I think is that Bose is not picked up as an Alexa "device" and purely relies on "Skills" that are not very well developed.

Noisy Narrator

Maybe you need to say, "Alexa, ask Bose to play preset 1 on Olga Bose."  You need to assign the 6 presets in the Soundtouch app.

Audible Advocate

So I can play Preset 1 thanks. However, anything a bit more complicated like an artist or song from Spotify on Bose does not work

Noisy Narrator

Correct.  I guess that is a serious limitation of the Soundtouch app.  Not yet ready for prime time.  You have to use your iPhone or whatever streaming device to manually play what you want.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting in the community, I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble using Alexa with your SoundTouch products. I would be more than happy to help you with this, you should be able to ask Alexa to play specific artists or tracks as long as you have the correct setup and use the right phrasing. This video is quite useful for making sure everything is set up correctly. What is your default streaming service, as if you want to play take on my by aha, for example, you would need to say 'Alexa, play Take on Me on Spotify in Kitchen'. The can also be issued when two speakers have the same name Alexa can become confused.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Audible Advocate

Hi Zoe

Thank you for your reply but even following the instruction on the video to a T its still does not work.

The Bose speaker is called : Olga

Take 1 : "Alexa play Take on Me on Spotify in Olga"

Response : "I cant find Take by Olga on Spotify"

Take 2 : "Alexa, ask Bose to play Take on me on Olga"

Response : "Sorry, I am having trouble in accessing your Bose Sound touch control skill right now" - Then it randomly starts preset 1

Hello Rouxbox,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to hear that it's still not working for you. I would recommend trying to start from scratch again by resetting the Soundbar, your device and removing the skill then re-adding it again.

Perform a soundbar reset by following these steps:

• Turn the soundbar off

• Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet

• Wait 30 seconds

• Reconnect the power cord

• Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

Noisy Narrator

That is not correct.  All you can do is ask Alexa to play preset 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 on Bose or on "speaker name."  That's it.

For me, it's "Alexa, ask Bose play preset 4 on Bose."  or

"Alexa, ask Bose turn volume up or down."

"Alexa, ask Bose stop playing."

"Alexa, ask Bose turn off."

I only have one Bose device and it's called "Bose."

Did moderator even watch the video they posted?  Have the moderators even seen the product they are posting about?  Evidently not.