Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Re: Bose and Alexa

Hi Zoe

Thank you for getting back so soon. I have tried your suggestions and still no change. I have googled this topic quite a bit and it’s clear many people find the Bose integration limited. Playing Presets work but the linguistic SKILLS on Alexa needs improvement
Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The integration between the Alexa app and the Bose Soundtouch app needs to be improved as well.  Currently, there is no capability to play anything except 6 presets regardless of what you ask Alexa.  Alexa is almost useless for using the Soundtouch app.  

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting in the community, I am sorry that you are also experiencing issues with your Alexa functions. I can confirm that you should be able to ask Alexa to play specific songs or artists, I have just tested it in our demo room to be absolutely certain. Normally, I would recommend that you clear the Bose Skill from the Alexa app and then re-add it again and suggest you also make sure you have a default streaming service selected in Alexa settings. As you have said you have tried these options without any success I would recommend that you try a complete re-start of the skill, please follow the steps below:

• Remove Alexa from all Bose SoundTouch speakers in the Alexa app

• Remove all speakers from the SoundTouch app
• Log out of the Bose SoundTouch app

• Factory default all Bose SoundTouch speakers - To restore the factory defaults for SoundTouch 10, please follow these steps:
A factory reset clears all source, volume and network settings from the system returning it to its original factory settings. To restore factory defaults:
Press the system's Power button to turn it on
Press and hold the system's 1 and Volume - buttons for 10 seconds: All front LEDs glow solid after 1 second; after 10 seconds, all front LEDs blink white
Once the front LEDs blink white, release the buttons to reboot the system. The LEDs light from left to right several times during reboot
When the Wi-Fi indicator glows amber (signaling setup mode), launch the SoundTouch app to connect the system to the network.]
• De-register all Bose SoundTouch speakers from the SoundTouch
• Forget all Bose Smart speakers listed in the Alexa app
• Disable all Alexa Bose skills 
• Setup all Bose Smart speakers, including enabling Alexa integration

This is the best way to try to get this feature working for you, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Dear Zoe
Thank you for the feedback. I have tried your exact procedures several times even before posting on this forum and unfortunately without success. This is a bigger issue and it needs to be relayed to the Bose developing team.

Bose work OK-ish when you just want to play PRESETS 1-6 and Volume UP/DOWN on Alexa. However, the current language Alexa Bose SKILLs just isn´t finished and its far from being sophisticated. At minimum it should allow for a degree of variation from voice commands. It’s not realistic from Bose to expect everyone to use the exact language phrase. To give an example "Play on kitchen" , "Play in kitchen" should both work.

Also, I am convinced the Alexa Bose SKILL´s does not work with music servicse like Spotify no matter your resetting suggestion. That is clear from the low Alexa SKILL rating Bose gets. From what I have Googled, there is allot of concerns when it comes to Alexa Bose SKILLs and the fact that Bose does not acknowledge is even more worrying.
This can all be fixed. We just need Bose to acknowledge that the SKILLS need to be developed, provide a timeline and get cracking with it.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello Rouxbox,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I can confirm that you should be able to manually ask Alexa to play specific songs/artists via Amazon Music, Deezer, iHeartRadio, Pandora, SiriusXM and TuneIn. When it comes to asking Alexa to play content through spotify you are only able to ask to play presets, I am sorry for any confusion caused previously.

I hope this helps, should you need anything else please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Highlighted
Chuckling Champion
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

All mine will do is play presets 1 through 6.  I don't use Spotify.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I have amazon Echo dot and Google home speaker. I found Google home as more useful to compare to other spekers with quickly search using voice assistant and find better result also.